PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Only around 200 and change left. I bought ten tins just for shits and giggles as I am not a big fan of ready rubbed blends but damn 6 years of age, I had to take a shot.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
It’s always nice to score some tins with age on them. Apparently the Capstan RR isn’t a big seller but 6 years? That’s got to be a record for Smoking Pipes! They move tobacco like the cartel moves... well, ya know what I mean. But really, it’s just the flake tossed in a tumbler and sold as RR. If you pack it as is, it burns very similarly to a flake, just don’t rub it out any further. I really like Mac Baren’s RR because they are truly a Ready Rubbed cut. They don’t give you a ribbon cut blend and call it a Ready Rubbed like some companies do.

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I noticed this sale last night and added 10x tins to my cart and decided to sleep on it. Nearly forgot about it until clicking on this thread. Sigh. I couldn't resist and pulled the trigger. I'm a sucker for aged VA blends. I don't need anymore pipe tobacco, but what the heck...into the cellar it goes.
I'm currently smoking through a jar of six year old Marlin flake that is just fantastic. Once the jar goes empty I'll dip into one of these.

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
Their 50g tins of HH bold Kentucky are from Jan 2016... just saying - well the ones I got last week

mtwaller

Lifer
Nov 21, 2018
Atlanta, GA
Man I’m kind of tempted... If I’m spending money on capstan I think I prefer blue... but 6 years of age is nothing to sneeze at. SP ships fast as hell, somebody pop a tin and tell me if it’s worth it within the next couple days?? Haha. I’m not brave enough to drop cash without knowing if it’s really any better than standard fare which is meh for my tastes.

foursidedtriangle

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 22, 2018
It has some gross topping on it and you know aromatics don't age well. Hey if it was just VA alone I would consider it, but not in this case.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
It has some gross topping on it and you know aromatics don't age well.
You do realize that Frog Morton Cellar is classed as an aromatic don't you?
Aromatics age just fine and don't change much at all. This being a Virginia blend it does get a bit sweeter. Seems to age a bit like Erinmore which is amazing with some age. Capstan has exceeded my $5/ounce limit now so this one rules me out even on sale. When still within my range though, it was a good one.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Come on Embers, we all know u don't really have any kind of limit....
I should probably try to get a decent Virginia flake at some point. It's been many years since I've smoked a straight Virginia, and maybe it's time to try again.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Black Frigate is teetering on the edge. A couple more cents and I'll be looking for another ship. :mrgreen:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Ok now we know that's a lie.
It's cool, you don't gotta hide it.
You'd pay 100.00$ an ounce for that...that....black pirate boat stuff. :nana:

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
Yes, this is a nice tobacco, it was on sale last year as 5 year old and obviously they did not sell all of them then and are now 6 year ones. I can only buy a tin at a time, mostly because of the cost if held to ransom by customs here, but I have been buying over the last year and I knew they were still sending the aged ones :) oops

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There are 47 tins left. Mine should be here any hour now. As soon as it gets here I will open a tin and try it no matter what I may be currently smoking.
At 12.08 a tin, that works out to .24 cents per gram. a 3 gram bowl is .75 cents. Not a bad price for 6 year old tobacco.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My 2013 Capstan Gold RR arrived about 20 minutes ago. I put down the pipe I was smoking and lit this stuff up. After smoking it for a bit, I ordered another ten tins. I don't smoke any ready rubs and this one is more like a ribbon cut. The taste is damn good. The citrusy thing that was on fresh Gold flake is not nearly as pronounced. There are nice sweet flavors and it burns nice and easy. It has a creamy quality that I enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.