PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
Recently, when I placed my last TAD order with SmokingPipes.com, I decided to pick up one of their Kiribi pipe lighters. I bought their Kiribi Kabuto Mizo Black Matte model. I have to say that I've grown real fond of this little Japanese lighter! When it first arrived, I did have a little trouble at first with it lighting every time that I striked the flint, but I liken this simply to the "break in" period as it lights every time for me now on the first try. It's definitely a quality build and it feels like a fine heirloom quality lighter when you hold it in your hand. I'm very impressed with how much butane it holds in its tank. In the past I had picked up a couple inexpensive butane pipe lighters at pipe shows, and while they worked OK when I first bought them, they needed to be routinely refilled and after about a year they finally wore out. This Kiribi is on its first tank fill since I bought it and I guess I've had it close to a month now. I am sure tank "mileage will vary" between users, but I typically average smoking a pipe 1-2 times a day, usually in the evening after work, and it is still going strong for me (with the inexpensive lighters I was having to refill them at least once every week). I honestly can't compare it to the IM Corona Old Boy as I haven't owned one and it wouldn't be fair for me to try and compare the two. I had looked at buying an Old Boy, but just couldn't pull the trigger on one at their price point. The Kabuto for me seemed to be a reasonable trade off between buying one of the less expensive ones that don't seem to last, but not going to the high end expense of an Old Boy. The only disadvantage I can see with the Kabuto model is that it doesn't incorporate a pipe tamper with it like the Old Boy. However, I see today that SmokingPipes now has the Kiribi Tomo model which does include a combo pick and tamper tool incorporated into the lighter. Kudos to SmokingPipes.com for offering such a quality pipe lighter!

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I've been thinking of picking up one of the new tobos. Glad to hear they are well built and reliable. My old boy is still going strong although I use the crap out of it. I've been looking for a lighter to spell it now and again

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent timing, gents! I just received my Kiribi Kabuto yesterday, and it's a delight. It's covered in black leather, and my wife thought I paid $200+ for it. Also smoking pipes but I went in with snagging that, and then added a few tins of a Pease blend to bring it up to $100.
I don't have an IM Corona either, just a Xicar old boy style. The Xicar sometime lights first strike 50 in a row, and then requires two or three strikes for a while.
Big surprise: It came filled! So imagine my surprise that it hissed after a few seconds of trying to fill a full lighter, and the first strike: boom! Well, not quite that, but a very large flame.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's the one I got two days ago.
OjfTLok.jpg

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I've got major lighter lust for these. Glad to hear they are qualiry, as I've heard bad things about a few of the lookalikes. Would you guys say these are the best option for someone on a budget?

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
And Petersons,,

if only there weren't these import taxes involved upon arrival,(most all merchandise coming outside of Eu reg.over the total value of $30 are due to customs clearance,which means some additional %20- I had been thorough this million times before and now) then I' definitely would buy one of these,,and who knows,perhaps $ will go a bit down in the future

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
For those of you that don't want to spend over $15 for a lighter this a nice alternative. I have had one for over a year now, closer to 2. I don't use it all the time but it gets used and is well made, they come in other colors you just need to look around......
https://www.amazon.com/Yibao-Antique-Butane-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B019041TT2/ref=lp_8518716011_1_1_a_it?srs=8518716011&ie=UTF8&qid=1485406769&sr=8-1&th=1

thomasw

Dec 5, 2016
Very high class lighter there! I confess that I am still satisfied with my dollar store bought wooden matches and, when I do desire to use a lighter, an old Zippo with the pipe chimney.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
I have also been thinking of buying a Kiribi and just got the email on the new ones recently. I trust this site for its reviews as you guys are pretty honest about stuff.

rx2man

May 25, 2012
@ jpmcwjr, ummm I show $15 shipped LOL. I looked and they also have them in silver. The only sucky part is they dont have the extended arm like the Kiribi's do. They are a knock off of the Coronas. But again for $15 shipped I can live without the extended arm.
https://www.amazon.com/Yibao-Antique-Butane-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B019041TRY/ref=lp_8518716011_1_1_a_it?srs=8518716011&ie=UTF8&qid=1485406769&sr=8-1&th=1

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Rx2man, that's very neat...one thing. I've read that people prefer the Kiribis and Old Boys because they have an angled flame, which makes it easier to direct the flame into the bowl. Do the Yibaos share this feature, or are they upwards directed?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Fifteen bucks it is.
As to directional flame- not necessary. Drawing the tip of the flame to the tobacco is easy regardless of its direction naturally (think of matches!)

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
Ah thank you for that reminder, jpmcwjr..I should have thought of that. I honestly prefer matches when it comes to lighting up, but I have a raccoon-like taste for nice things that are shiny, and these types of lighters really activate the critter in me...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Everyone, but especially you, deserves at least one good fancy-ish lighter! Besides, sometimes matches are a poor choice, such as when driving.
Also, the extended arm doesn't make it easier to flip the cover up, at least not for this right handed guy. To each his own!

rx2man

May 25, 2012
No on the angled flame.
That is funny on the raccoon and shiny. I remember being in a pet store 35 yrs ago and the guys pet raccoon was in the store. There was a sign on the cage saying do not give him your keys. He did not like giving them back lol......

Status
Not open for further replies.