PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
In my visit to the marketplace where I bought my rope tobaccos, I asked if there was more pipe tobacco available there, and the guy said "No... Wait, there's this one!". And then he showed me this small straight Virginia pouch. It costed just around $1 the 1oz pouch.
51822076_1217694395051478_1404666331147534336_n.jpg

Right now, just before smoking it, I researched about it on the internet and found out that it was in fact a virginia made for rolling cigarettes. But now, trying it in my briar with low expectations, I found that it isn't bad! It's actually quite good and better than most local aromatics (chocolate-flavored etc.) that I've tried. I would say it's toe to toe with 7 Seas Regular in quality.
So what do you think about smoking tobaccos (virginias etc.) intended for rolling cigarettes in your briars? Have you ever tried it?
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The cut is finer, but the leaf should do OK in a pipe. It's my understanding that most cigarette tobaccos also incorporate Orientals in the blend -- but that's a plus IMO.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Not really. I'd rather smoke pipe tobacco. That being said, however, Savinelli does have a line of small pipes, the Minuto, aimed at cigarette smokers, which uses RYO toby. Of course, one can smoke pipe tobacco in it too, but the size and the fact that it takes cigarette filters aims it at that crowd.
One more thing, I'd assume that the finer cut leads to a faster burn. Do you notice this, Machado, or does it take the same time to smoke a bowl RYO as a bowl of 7 Seas?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
One more thing, I'd assume that the finer cut leads to a faster burn. Do you notice this, Machado, or does it take the same time to smoke a bowl RYO as a bowl of 7 Seas?
Believe it or not, it burns noticeably slower than 7 Seas!
A 7 Seas Regular bowl simply vanishes in seconds with me. I'm smoking this Dipalha guy right now and it's burning nice and steady. Not fast like a cigarette, at all. It feels like it's pipe tobacco!
The finer cut doesn't seem to interfere with the burning cadence.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I have a friend that smokes Stokkebye Stockholm Blend and Norwegian Blend in RYO cigarettes. I've stuffed a pinch of his tobacco in my pipe many times and enjoyed it. I think Stokkebye makes at least the Norwegian Blend in another cut for pipes but I've only ever smoked it in the RYO shag. Stockholm has a good blast of nicotine.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
I enjoy McConnell's London Fine Cut (read = shag/RYO) but I'll second the mention above for PS Amsterdam + Norwegian blends.
Daughters & Ryan also make fine-cut blends, including Three Sails (VA) and Ryback (VA KY) that I find particularly pleasing.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I enjoy McConnell's London Fine Cut (read = shag/RYO) but I'll second the mention above for PS Amsterdam + Norwegian blends.
Daughters & Ryan also make fine-cut blends, including Three Sails (VA) and Ryback (VA KY) that I find particularly pleasing.
Taken note! Are all of the fine cut blends intended for cigarettes, or are some of them made for pipes?

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Be sure to try mixing some of that 'baccy with the rope you bought. It may not correlate with what you have there at all, but Burley with about 10% Virginia is the food of the gods.

luigi

Can't Leave
May 16, 2017
Europe
Such a fine cut may burn hotter than any pipe tobacco but it's completely possible to smoke it in a pipe.

I suspect a vast majority of rolling tobaccos contain more additives than pipe tobaccos. Am I dependent of pipe tobacco? No. What about hand rolling tobaccos? Oh yes, I have a bad craving every time I succumb to the temptation to buy a pouch and roll some. My 2 cents.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
pipestud, from the link you posted...
The difference between a bag of pipe tobacco and a bag of RYO tobacco is often the label.

By Mso489
Would you guys agree with this great wiseman?

jeff540

Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Nobody mentioned yet, that several of the beloved Germain blends (Sobraine, Esoterica Pembroke and others) have this same fine shag cut. Just dry it out a bit and be ready to smoke a few bowls in a row.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yoiks, no one has accused me of being wise before. However, yes, a lot of loose bagged tobacco that works for RYO also does fine in a pipe, all depends on the quality of leaf. A nice Virginia is adaptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.