PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lankfordjl

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2011
Texas
cg-pipe.jpg

Children's stories used to be so much better. Anybody remember this picture?

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
Curious George books were awesome when I was a wee lad. My parents bought them for me. I'm not at all surprised to see George smoking. First he is curious, and when these were written (though I don't know exactly when) the world was way different than it is today.

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
I. Unacceptable for Children: Curious George smoking a pipe.

II. Acceptable for Children: Hansel and Gretal pushing a witch into an oven and listening to her scream as she roasts to death.
I'm not a proponent of censorship in any matter. I read both stories as a child. But it seems Hansel and Gretel may be a bit more psychologically damaging than George puffing a pipe. Go figure.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
And note that George is smoking a pipe, rather than a cigarette.

how do you guys thinks about this ?

scotrob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 24, 2011
lol- and yes i did actually "lol" at Cajunguy's post
i think many of the brother's Grimm tales are damaging too:
1. Hansel and Gretel: aside from condoning the notion of burning witches alive, how often have you ever been inside a house that you could EAT? if that doesnt mess with kids' heads nothing will
2. Little Red Riding Hood: where to begin? Themes of paedophilia, granny battering AND rampant bloodshed to say nothing of killing an endangered animal
3. Rumplestiltskin & Rapunzel: Reinforces negative gender stereotypes (women spinning etc.)
yeh, lets have more calm, contemplative pipe smoking in kids books rather than the gorefest of yesteryear!

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm convinced that exposure to all of it is developmentally beneficial. Life is not all sunshine and rainbows and one must be exposed to the dark side to truly understand the light.

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
BBQ witches are tastier than roasted witches. The Lone Ranger show on 50s TV was super violent. Someone would put a bullet in a miners head close range for a nugget of gold. I really loved that show. Curious George really has that pipe smoking. Tongue burn lil buddy. :wink:

cajunguy

Jan 22, 2012
Metairie, LA
+1 on the BBQ
And maybe George is smoking a new Carey Magic Inch. I don't have one, but they're supposed to be very cool smokers... :lol:

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
George looks like he just borrowed his Uncles (Monkeys Uncle) & is smoking a canadian volcano . Monkeys have always preferred a pinch of Latakia. The larger primates enjoyPerique. They go through a lot of stems. Phillip, I just have to ask, have you ever set that fantastic beard on fire while smokin???

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Whatever he is smoking, it sure does look like he is enjoying it. I'm pretty sure I have struck that very same pose a few times while having one of those perfect smokes.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
My kids get a kick out of the Night Before Christmas Book because it shows Santa smoking a pipe and even mentions it on that page.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
Well not books but we watch Yogi the bear and the Pink panther cartoons and both have pipe smokers in them. Cant seem to find pics on line though. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.