PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Guys,
The Dunhill I bought new in mid-January is smoking salty in the middle - very strange! It's broken in and was fine, but now has a definite salt taste no matter what I put in it. I've tried GLP Chelsea Morning, Dunhill London Mixture, and Dunhill 965. It's not unbearable but it's a bit distracting. Is it just the (similar) tobaccos and nothing unusual or something more nefarious? I alcohol-clean the pipe every week and it may be that's what's needed again but I'm curious and slightly worried. Any ideas?
Thanks, Andy

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Get in the shank with some alcohol dipped Q-tips and scrub-a-dub-dub everything!
Never heard of a salty NEW pipe. Could be you're still smoking away some pipe stain?
How many bowls have you smoked through it?

shutterbug

Can't Leave
Apr 12, 2013
In many cases when people complain that they are smoking salty, it is because they are smoking too much too soon for their taste buds to recover. The tastebuds responsible for tasting salty flavours are found mid to mid forward of the tongue, and when they are irritated and/or inflamed, they give off the sensory illusion of being salty. If I may suggest a possible solution: lay off smoking for a day or two, give your palette a rest, and then come back to it. You will find that the tobacco will taste considerably different provided your tongue is healthy and 'fresh'.
Shutterbug

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Jeff beat me to the punch. Latakia can sometimes impart a salty taste to the smoke. Combine that with a slightly irritated tongue, and you've got the perfect storm. It also sounds to me as if the pipe may be slightly over smoked. Clean it thoroughly, and then let it rest for a full week before coming back to it. Then smoke and not oftener than every three days for a while, and see if that helps.
You've got a great pipe there;'you should be getting a great smoke out of it.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Eric - I think you're there. I smoke English, so Latakia. My tongue is irritated and I smoke the pipe every evening. It also smokes hot, so I'll follow your advice and see where we land. Thanks to everyone - I've learned so much on this thread and improved my understanding of a lot I simply wouldn't have worked out.
Andy

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What shutterbug said.
It's happened to me before, mainly when I first started smoking. I smoked too hot without enough rest time between bowls, and I experienced it most with Latakia blends.

peter70

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2013
I had the same, when I was smoking Latakia exclusively a few years ago. All Latakia blends tasted salty from one day of the other. I tried VAs and they were fine, so I went into that direction and after some time, Latakia was fine, too. I am now changing between those two, with an occasional aromatic now and then. Keeps the palate fresh.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
Thanks Peter and Pitchfork. I cleaned up the pipe and it's 'resting'(!). I've also curbed my smoking to 2/3 bowls well spread out over a day. Finally Oraldene first and last thing has helped a lot.
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.