PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMcQ

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 9, 2019
Atlantic Beach, FL
I'm sure just like most of you, I have made a few purchases from Smoking Pipes. I've never at all had any problem with them. And when I receive my order, a flyer comes with it stating that my old pipes can be worth money or a credit. So my question, has anyone done this? Is it a good deal? About how much do they give? Any experiences with this process?

Thanks

Reactions: voorhees

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I've done it a couple times and had very good experiences. The general principle is they offer you 55% (on trade-in) of what they think they can sell it for. If you don't like their offer, or they don't want any of your pipes, they ship it right back for free. Zero hassles, very quick, and very nice folks who are easy to deal with. In a word, real pros. One time I made out like a bandit, and one time I had them ship all the pipes back. Right now they've got a lot of estate stock (hence the recent sales), so they're being a bit more picky than usual. Or maybe that's just how they let me down easy about my POS pipes.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
I've done it a few times. Clean your pipes to as close to like new and you'll get more than fair pricing from them, especially if you are getting a credit.

Reactions: rogers

rogers

Mar 9, 2012
Any experiences with this process?
I use the post office to send in my pipes. They will ask, "Which one, A, B,C D, E, etc." Apparently there is more than one building at SMP's address. I just tell them "E" (for Estates). Once they receive the pipes, they will send an e-mail confirming it. Within 2 weeks they'll send another e-mail with their offers, one for cash, another for store credit. Call or e-mail them with your answer. I find a phone call gets faster results. puffy

unadoptedlamp

Mar 19, 2014
My advice would be to try and sell your pipe for the highest price you think it's worth on a site like e-bay first. Use the buy it now option and be patient. Great pictures are important.

If it doesn't sell after a month or so, then look into these types of commission sales. They're a great service if you need them.

But... they need to make money, and so, they will price it a significant amount under the market value, because they're not a charity for you. Everyone knows this going in. If you had no takers on your initial attempt, perhaps it's now worth it.

I rarely sell pipes. My experience was this. I contacted them, got a maximum price for what they would pay for it under the best conditions and decided to list it myself. I just sold my pipe for $250 more than I would have got from using them. They didn't "low ball" my pipe. It's just business. They need to make a profit from the exchange.

Maybe I got lucky by selling it on my own.

But, if I had to do it again, they would be a last resort. It's not that I wouldn't ever use them, I just think that it's worthwhile to at least try on your own first, assuming you have an idea of how much you are willing to sell your pipe for. And if you need great pictures, find some local amateur or student and fork over $20. I think many people can get a good deal on their own, with some effort and patience.

Reactions: 3rdguy

americaman

May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
I should have showed them one of the pipes I had with me at the pipe show. I’m trying to move to English and American pipes. I think I was too caught up looking at other pipes to remember I had one with me I was trying to sell.

Parsimonious Piper

Can't Leave
Oct 12, 2019
But... they need to make money, and so, they will price it a significant amount under the market value, because they're not a charity for you. Everyone knows this going in. …It's just business. They need to make a profit from the exchange.

In many ways this is no different than trading in your car. You know you can get a higher price if you sell it yourself, but that takes some effort on your part. The reseller needs to make a profit. It’s not rocket science, but surprisingly few people understand the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.