PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
With the extreme cold this year, there has been much mention on the forums of smoking outside in what seem to be near-brutal (or, at best, uncomfortable) conditions.
I realize I may be opening a can of worms here, but why do so many of you smoke outside or in cold garages rather than in the comfort of your very own living rooms? It seems that pipe smoking is ill-suited to uncomfortable conditions, being a long and relaxing (some say contemplative) activity. Yes, yes, I understand that many have wives, children, etc. So do I. I'm not suggesting smoking in your child's bedroom or in your master bath tub. I'm talking about smoking what is generally considered a unique and fragrant scent - pipe tobacco - in your own house, when it's literally freezing outside.
Not trying to start a fuss - just curious as to the reasons why.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
I know that in my case, I live in a Rental, where the lease agreement required no indoor smoking. Secondly, I'm married, and while my wife enjoys the scent of pipe tobacco, and even the taste, it's too strong for our small apartment.

saint007

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 22, 2013
I do most of my smoking reclined in a LazyBoy. When the fireplace is going, it takes any aroma right out of the room. I do step outside every now and then with a lit pipe for some fresh air. However, I did stop smoking in the bathroom.

anglesey

Can't Leave
Jan 15, 2014
I tend to smoke outside. Depending on what I'm smoking, the ayatollah herself occasionally lets me. Lat heavy blends (my go to 90% of the time) are way out, but odd aromatics like grousemoor are inexplicably okay.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
Yes I do miss those old days. When I did relax with nice smoke in my own living room.

When was it? Feels like when the tiger smoked in the forest(long long time ago).

Well.. This days if I do smoke in the living room I might be feel myself selfish or guilty.

Sad... but I got to freeze my legs.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I'm lucky to have my own comfortable heated room off of the shop in the basement. I've got a comfy chair, a work bench, a radio and all the supplies needed for enjoying my time off.
I don't smoke in the house because we have three computers and an expensive TV that probably don't benefit from smoke exposure.

mzpuff

Lurker
Feb 13, 2013
Toronto
My wife would not approve of tje forced air distributing the smoke throughout the house, especially into my kids'bedroom. As much as I don't have any issue with breathing any smoke in the air, I probably do not need to expose my little kids to it.

dervis

Lifer
Jan 30, 2012
Hazel Green AL
I smoke in my house can't imagine not doing it. I always found it weird the strong memories of dads or grandpas smoking that got a lot of us started. Such as " sitting in my granpas lap while he puffed along" " Its a miracle I didn't drop dead" Grandpa smoked In the house that selfish inconsiderate prick!!! Really though I feel for you guys who can't/won't smoke in your house. Especially this time of year.

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Someday, it will be quite the pleasure to sit in front of fireplace with a pipe, saint007. Something I can hope for, I suppose.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
My Father smoked at home - Three Nuns if I remember rightly. My Grand Father smoked at the house when he came to visit circa 1968 at age 80. His Father would swing by on the odd occasion aged 99 rolling his own cigarettes!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I smoke lots of latakia, and I find that it lingers. If I had a shop, I would smoke in there, where there wouldn't be fabric to absorb the smell.
But another reason is that I like to be outside. My dog needs a couple miles of walking a day, and if it's over 20, you can dress for it. Part of dressing for it involves packing a pipe.
Even just sitting on my porch and finishing a pipe, even when it's 20 and I'm cold ... being outside is better than being inside. Magpies and squirrels are lots more entertaining than most everything going on in my house, save the bedroom.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I'd quit before I had to go outside to smoke. That said I'm not overdoing either a couple of bowls a day. IMO moderation is the key! 8O

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I'm not allowed to smoke in the house either. We have a new home and it does not fly with the wife. I've been huddled under a tarp and space heater in the garage while it was 30 below out. Not entirely enjoyable, but I still get a quick smoke in. I'm looking into having my garage insulated. Hope that would help.
For those of you that can smoke in the house you really are lucky. If I tried it would be World War 3.

Dec 24, 2012
Wife would kill me if I smoked in the house. I have a barn on the property which I have turned into my man cave. That's where I smoke.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
I smoke outside, my wife doesn't like it. Though when it is cold and I am smoking an aromatic I go out on my front porch that is enclosed and open up the window to the screen door and smoke. I like it outside, I don't mind the cold to much, it helps keep me awake when I am studying.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
If it's too cold to have an enjoyable smoke, I go without. If I can't go without for a day or three, that's a problem for me. Nicotine cravings aren't something I want.
I've seen some incredible things smoking outside in the cold.
1001204_10100207283633760_853770842_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.