PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

branzig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2014
I smoke outside because I don't want to smoke inside. I don't like the smell of smoke in a house.
Also it makes me practice extreme moderation during the winter :lol:
I'll go months without smoking anything in the winter, and I am perfectly ok with that.

antbauers

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
My wife has asthma and is a non smoker. Thankfully I can still smoke inside but right next to the window fan that sucks the smoke and smell right out. It works well because she does not complain even when she is a couple feet from me on the couch, while I'm on the lay-z boy.

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
I smoke my pipe in my house, as I greatly enjoy the room note, and the smell does not seem to linger. I encourage my boyfriend to smoke his pipe in my house as well, even though he sometimes likes to puff lat blends. I like the smell of those, too.
I generally don't smoke my pipe in the house if my son is home, although I did light up a bowl of MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flakes and take a few puffs then set it down. I didn't get any automatic negative response from that. ;)
Usually though, when he's home I go down to my basement/garage to smoke or outdoors weather permitting. I supremely enjoy a summertime pipe smoke on my covered front porch in my wooden rocking chair. :puffy:

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I live with my parents still(I'm only 20), and they don't allow me to smoke inside. I can smoke in my dads workshop, which is insulated, but to save money the heat isn't on. So it isn't much warmer then outside. I could also smoke in my car,but I don't want to waste gas warming it up. Since it's been so cold, I haven't smoked in awhile.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
My wife is a nonsmoker but she wouldn't stop me from smoking in the house. The thing is, I don't want her to inhale second hand smoke, I don't want our dogs to inhale it, and I don't want to inhale it myself. And I don't want to walk into the house and immediately smell stale smoke. It's warm all year round here, so smoking outside (or in the garage doorway if it's raining, is just not a problem. I put up a lawn chair, I can read or just look outside and enjoy the view, and when I do inhale it's fresh air not second hand pipe smoke.

psychpipes

Can't Leave
Sep 4, 2013
Nature Coast of Florida
When I started smoking pipes, my wife let me smoke all I wanted in the house. No complaints, no lingering smells. My wife and I took precautions to make sure the house never stunk. Not to mention the fact that I smoke Sutliff Molto Dolce which fills the air with sweet vanilla. All was well. That was until my wife's first visit to her mother's (a few months after I started).
When she came back she told me all her mother did was complain about the pipe smell on all of her clothing. She even made my wife wash her clothes multiple times while there. Call her a picky mother-in-law, but I generally like the lady. She had my wife convinced that I was contaminating the house, and, like a dog in trouble, I was sent outside.
I live in Florida where the winter weather is mild (mostly). This time of year is perfect pipe weather for me, but those summers are brutal. If I wasn't still allowed to smoke in my car, I probably wouldn't even get to come May/June.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
.I never seen so many "My Wife says, my Wife don't like, my Wife can't etc." What if the shoe were on the other foot?
Honestly, it would probably work the same way - she'd be smoking outdoors while I stayed inside. :D
I smoke outdoors largely because as a reformed anti-smoker, I still hate the smell of stale smoke. I have a "smoking jacket" that I wear outside while smoking in cold weather (military surplus M-65), and I usually end up washing it after about a month's worth of outdoor smokes. I wound up making an ashtray out of an Escudo tin and a spare cork specifically so that I don't need to bring it indoors at all, and I do a thorough Everclear cleaning of my pipes about every other week to keep the odor at bay.
My wife actually did offer (back when I'd only smoked Lane 1-Q and hadn't yet discovered Latakia) to let me smoke in the house, but I declined. At some point in our next house, I'll either put in a backyard shed or section off a room from the HVAC and convert it to a dedicated smoking area. We've also got a screened-in porch on our 'wish list', so I'll have some options soon.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I do most of my smoking outside.
First of all there's the weather. Here in Las Vegas it's 60* and sunny right now. It's very easy to have three pipes outside in a day either sitting on the patio or taking a stroll around the block.
Second of all I don't own the house I'm living in. It's technically my mother-in-law's and she's asked me not to smoke in the house. My fiance allows me to have an occasional bowl inside if I have the air purifier on full blast. I can only smoke 1Q in the house because she says the lingering smell is just the same as the pouch note. Still, it's just special occasions. The only bowl I've had inside was while watching Albert Finney's Scrooge on Christmas Eve.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I only smoke inside if I've got a fan in the window blowing out and I'm sitting right next to it. Neither my wife nor I want the house to have any stale smoke aroma.

chemistfox

Lurker
Oct 19, 2013
I smoke inside, but really only in my study. I don't want to get desensitized to the smell because every time i open the door and walk into my study it's a pleasant experience. It smells like relaxation.

Status
Not open for further replies.