PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
I smoke outside because one of my housemates is asthmatic, he says it is OK if I do inside but I rather not upset his health. I prefer it outside anyway, seem to get a cleaner taste for some reason and as Sablebrush said it is great to not be sitting in a cloud of hanging smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I smoke indoors in my living room on occasion, but my wife isn't a fan of pipe smoke, so I usually smoke in the basement during the winter months. For me it's about compromise. My wife is understanding and respectful of my enjoying a pipe, and so I return the favor by not subjecting her to smoke that she doesn't like breathing in or smelling.
Marriage is about compromise. If either party refuses to respect the other, you won't have much of a relationship.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
When I visit, my mother allows me to smoke in her house, and always has. It's nice to have an after meal smoke without leaving the table. I definitely prefer smoking indoors. My wife says I can build a smoking room, but I just have too many other projects. One of these days...

fishingandpipes

Aug 24, 2013
heck if I had a view like escioe I'd smoke outside a lot more. and is that a fire pit? marvelous!

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Outdoor smoker here. Set up an air filtration unit in the mancave on the QT and was smoking a bowl in the evening for a couple of weeks before the missus cottoned on and expressed

"strong displeasure". Now have a heater, light and chair set up in the shed. For the most part I'm happy to smoke outdoors weather permitting, but we get some hella cold weather here, and it would be nice to have a bowl while watching a game. Next house I'm going to purpose build a man cave with appropriate ventilation.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm an indoor smoker, which I restrict to my basement rec room, and I take simple steps such as- opening a window/running a fan, and most often than not I just wait for the wife to be at work. No need to force the issue with her, or agitate deliberately, and I like my current set up as it is. I know she doesn't like it, but to be honest I really don't care. It's my hobby and one that I enjoy greatly. She knew that way before we married. Besides, I'm 39 years old. I didn't take any crap from people (family, or otherwise) when I was younger and I don't intend to start now. Just how I'm wired, I guess. She has never asked me to do any of the precautions I do, I just do them.
Everyone's situation here is different though, I respect that, but if my wife ever was the type that was a "SWMBO" we'd have never lasted into our 13th year as we are now. That goes both ways as well. We do our own things and give each other our space when needed.
I've said this before, so I will say again to the ones looking at setting up a smoking room- definitely don't do carpeting. Get rid of it if it's already in there. I replaced my rec room carpet with resilient vinyl tile this summer, and the difference in any lingering stale aroma of the room was huge!
BTW- I'm baking a tin of OGS as I type this, just sayin'... :puffy:

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
LOL. I am not being rude, but....I never seen so many "My Wife says, my Wife don't like, my Wife can't etc." What if the shoe were on the other foot?
Guess I am lucky, have always smoked in the house. Very understanding and thoughtful Wife.

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I glad someone wears the trousers in their family and is the king of his castle! :D
Later fellas, I've got to go and tend to some honey-dos.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I smoke where ever I happen to be at the moment,inside or out. The only compromise I make is that I don't smoke in our bedroom--unless the wife falls asleep on the couch and doesn't come to bed.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
My wife designed a smoking room, just for me, in the basement.
I'm going to install an exhaust fan in there in the spring, to help reduce the smoke that lingers in that room and sometimes spreads to the rest of the house.
Just want to make a point that it is important to make some compromises; do I smoke heavy lat blends or other blends with "tolerable" room notes inside? No.

Do I smoke outside when it's not minus freaking cold outside, or winds gusting to 75km/hr like they are right now? Yes.

Is there a difference between smoke filling a room, and being able to detect the scent of smoke, when it comes to health? I think so.

Do I try to not take my wife's conciliatory nature for granted? Absolutely.

av8scuba

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2013
Mid-Missouri
I'm an outside smoker. My wife and kids have asthma and almost immediately break out into an attack when around any kind of smoke. My daughter even has issues when being around my clothes I've recently smoked in. So I have dedicated clothes for smoking and they never really enter the living space of the house.
That being said, I really enjoy the alone time on my porch and deck. I will usually weather anything down to 0F. Below that, it's really just too cold. But I enjoy watching the deer and turkeys in our field, along with the occasional coyote and fox. And the birds are always around. So it is really relaxing for me.
As it's been said before, it is all about compromise and respect. She never says anything about my TAD or PAD purchases. And I appreciate that!
Happy puffing! :puffy:

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
LOL. I am not being rude, but....I never seen so many "My Wife says, my Wife don't like, my Wife can't etc." What if the shoe were on the other foot?
lol! You know the old saying "if mama ain't happy, no one is happy".
Personally, I wouldn't tolerate a situation where my wife had to always get her way - which I think is the situation for many in order to keep the peace. Fortunately my wife and I respect each other. She gets her way at times and I get mine. We've been married 24 years and we've had our ups and sons; but as I said before, it's about compromise.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
heck if I had a view like escioe I'd smoke outside a lot more. and is that a fire pit? marvelous!
Not my view! It's from a cabin we stayed at near Bigfork, Montana on Flathead Lake. I don't have a view quite like that from my porch, but I do see pretty great stuff in the park where I walk my dog. I get to listen to owls talk to one another, see a half dozen whitetail, watch my dog hunt for the same squirrel that has been tormenting her for months, watch fly fishers horse trout out of the creek, etc. Lots better than the shit they put on TV, that's for sure.

Aug 1, 2012
My wife...is a great lady who has asthma. I don't smoke in the house, not because she asks me not to, but because I don't want to make it worse. She worked on my garage with me to make a it a nice, comfortable space where I could smoke out of the cold. We were even going to set me up a filtered and ventilated space in the basement for my birthday until we found out we were moving. On warm days we put up the door and she sits with me while I smoke and we talk about life.
I respect you guys who don't smoke around the wife just as much as those who do (if you're not being an arse about it) and dread the day we move somewhere without a suitable smoking area.
but as I said before, it's about compromise.
Heck yeah. How else does a PITA like me make it with a great lady for almost 10 years now?

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I am that guy who pretty much stops smoking a pipe when the cold comes. When my wife and I buy a new house I will definitely get a heated garage but until then no smoking in the house. It's just agreement with my wife. Once in awhile I'll go out to the Jeep and listen to some Coast to Coast and enjoy a bowl but that is about once every couple of weeks.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
My wife enjoys my pipe smoking, but in recent years, finds her breathing compromised if she's in the same room while I'm smoking. Three years ago, she and my sons built me a man cave downstairs. It's heated, air-conditioned, I have a TV, computer, plenty of space, and best of all an air purifier. Life is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.