Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I grew up around pipe and cigar smoking. My wife did not (her father is a Mormon, her mother Irish Catholic). When the PAD got a hold of me, my mother-in-law started giving me generous monetary gifts for my birthday and Christmas to buy "good" pipes. She suggested Dunhill since that is what her father and brother smoked! Anyway I smoked in the house in our early married days, but curtailed it with the advent of my offspring. Having moved to California many years ago smoking in the garage at night is no real hardship. I am mainly a Virginia/VAPer smoker and my wife does not care for the smell. To my surprise,when I broke out some Nightcap some months ago she took a liking to it. It's the Latakia aroma she likes, but the Frog Mortons are her favorite since she says they are gentler. Nevertheless, I am content with my garage setup and weekend outdoor smoking. When mama is happy I am happy!

blindmansleeps

Might Stick Around
Jan 23, 2014
Escioe, I enjoy smoking in the cold, as well. A couple nights ago, the air was so cold that the harmonies from the neighbor's windchimes seemed to hang in the air. The frost had made crystals on the tips of the grass that oscillated between glistening and darkness as the moonbeams weaved through the clouds. It was one of those rare beauties that I would not have had the chance to witness had I been inside.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I throw one of those double fans in my window and set it to exhaust, my apartment is always ridiculously hot in the winter time due to the radiator heat anyways. I worry about my computer and the accumulation of smoke dust inside the case however.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Not saying any of you are, remember that....but I feel its disrespectful for others in the house. Even in a closed off room the smoke makes its way through the house. I would love to but it's not acceptable here.
Many here have custom outfitted their rooms to help cut this down but I can not. Luckily I have a balcony attached to my bedroom and walk out to puff and if it gets too cold I dart inside to warm up.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I also don't smoke inside. I smoke outside or in the garage, but I live in Los Angeles and it's never very cold. Keeps peace with my wife, which is worth it. She says it smells good, but the smoke makes her sick....which I don't believe and here is why:
First off, I smoke a lot so I probably always smell like my pipe. My pipe and tobacco are ALWAYS in my pocket. Several times, I have been smoking my pipe just before we were both going to get into her car to drive somewhere. I always drive when we're together. That also saves arguments. Anyhow, I have kept the pipe in my mouth, and when she says not to smoke, I reply that I'm not....but I am. Just enough to keep it going, which is pretty much how I smoke, anyways. 10 or more miles later, we exit the vehicle, and she is amazed when I blow out a cloud of smoke without even relighting. She probably thinks it's magic.
I could, and have smoked in my house, with and without her at home. I don't make much smoke with my pipe. But the trick is not to get caught, and let her think the pipe is magical. Which it is!

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
Indoor smoker here too, gf smokes so its not a problem at all. With our new place I can sit in my recliner and her on the couch and she can barely smell it...we have very high ceilings, and large living room.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
I am 64 years old and have smoked a pipe since age 12. I smoke in the home. My wife likes the pipe and is a non-smoker. I have a Dynamic CT500 smoke machine in the "man-cave" (the Den). The air in there is so pure you could give birth and not worry about smoke. The best investment I ever made!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

mrfus

Might Stick Around
Jun 6, 2013
I use to smoke inside with no problems but on the last 6 or 7 months my family was dragged on the "smoke is bad for your asthma"...
And being that the vote was 2 against one, I was pushed out to the porch with a small jar of tobacco, box of matches and inhaler just in case that I need it.
When the cold weather started hitting hard here I move to the laundry room that it's totally independent of the house and well insulated.
It's kind of annoying that if I want to smoke I need to stop watching TV or reading something on the computer and go out.
I should look on some mechanical filter that maybe can help to ease the mind of my family so I can regain my freedom of smoke indoors (at least at home)!

When I smoked cigarettes, I smoked outside. But, the odd thing out (and contrary to what most here have reported) people ask me to smoke in their homes. When out and about, people come set next to me while I smoke and remark about people they remember who smoked in their past. Friends who don't smoke as me to light up, and my girlfriend and my own kids will ask me to light up. I know, it's odd right? I used to carry an aro with me, but prefer a Va or VaPer. But, lately, I've noticed that it doesn't matter if its a Va or VaPer, they seem to like it. Of course, I don't typically smoke lat blends, but the few I will smoke on very cold nights I don't even try to smoke around people, because even I don't like the smell of it.
But, for the most part, I don't take it for granted. I would always ask before lighting up. But, I always giggle when people ask me to smoke so they can smell it, "Certainly, It'd be my pleasure." :D Life is good!!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
It's kind of annoying that if I want to smoke I need to stop watching TV or reading something on the computer and go out.
This is something I actually like about smoking outside, that you have to put away the electronics and read a book. It's pretty rare that I take my laptop out to the porch. I like having an hour to sit with a book.

Aug 14, 2012
Smoking outside is more enjoyable. You get a cleaner taste. However, I do most of my smoking indoors.I get no complaints from my wife since she started smoking a pipe too. No children or in laws to make a problem.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I live by myself, and I prefer to smoke either outside or in my basement mancave. The reason is simple, I know I will be selling this house in the future, and some buyers prefer a non smoking house. When spring gets here I will be installing a fan vent in my mancave.
My dog gets two or three walks each day and I find this is a great time for my pipe.

domminigan

Lurker
Jan 22, 2014
I have a nice, big porch just perfect for sitting and puffing away while the people go by. I can smoke in the house whenever I want; the thing is over 100 years old and I am positive many people have smoked in it over the years, after all. I very simply happen to prefer taking a break outside over sitting down inside.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I know I will be selling this house in the future, and some buyers prefer a non smoking house.
I have to unfortunately agree, Trailspike. I smoke in the lower level in my house and a broker/designer came in to look it over and remarked 'uh, no one would buy this house with this smell' (or something like that)
Even though I purchased a ozone machine (thanks, Harris) there is still carpeting and other fabrics in which the odor is trapped. Actually, I've never tried the ozone machine long enough (say 8 hours) to really give it a test to see if it will remove everything. The machine is very strong and the fumes it produces have to either be removed by opening a door/window or letting it dissipate for a few hours. And since I smoke most evenings at home, I just don't get a chance to give it a try.

latbomber

May 10, 2013
Its obvious that we would all like to be able to smoke anywhere but there are definite downsides to smoking in your main living areas. Smoke is very hard on electronics, it discolors the walls, and eventually makes all of your furniture and clothes musky. Plus add in the odd flying match tip or falling tobacco ember and you can get into a very interesting situation! For me the garage/workshop is the most ideal place: Concrete floors that I don't care if ash gets onto, nothing flammable, and I can still change into fresh clothes and not smell like a peat fire when I'm done :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.