PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I got the call just after leaving work on the night of January 4th that my father was in his final hours... if he had that long. So I rushed home changed clothes and was back out the door, and on my way to my parent's home in the country. I made it just a short while before he passed. I truly believe he was holding on until both my brother and I made it there. He was always a fighter, surviving Vietnam and fighting through life afterward, fighting back after a massive heart attack years ago, and fighting on recently through COPD and his failing health. I was able to say my goodbyes, and tell him I loved him before he passed and at his bedside I wept like I'd never wept before with my head on his shoulder as he was taking his final breaths. And then I walked outside and raged. And then I wept some more.
I have yet to smoke a pipe in his honor, although I've asked others to do so. I did smoke a few bowls the day after, but that was more for my benefit, just to help me deal with it all. I have yet to smoke a pipe today as I'm really just not feeling it right now. And that's what leads me to this question, for those of you who have done so. How long before you were able to finally choose a pipe and tobacco that was fitting, and actually smoke a pipe for the purpose of reflecting on a loved one's life you recently lost?

auburnfan

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2017
Will definitely smoke in his honor...pulling out my old stock now. Sorry for your lost, but Glad you got to say your goodbye. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Jake

leatherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2017
I'm so sorry for your loss, Anthony. :( I know the grief of losing ones father. May he rest in peace.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
My sincere condolences Anthony to you and your family. I'm glad you made it there before he passed.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
You will find your own answer to your question
Very true. Your heart will call out to the blend,time and place. It is not something you choose, it will choose you when the time is right. God Rest you father and let peace come to you...

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I'm sorry to hear about your loss man. I can't even imagine what you're going through. I'm glad to hear you got there to say your goodbyes. Wishing you and yours the best.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Very sorry for your loss, mate. I'll keep your dad and yours in my prayers.
I think you'll find your answer to your question yourself. All I can think of is that a certain pipe/toby combo might bring back certain memories, and you might weep some more. Up to you. Sometimes weeping is a good thing.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
I am so sorry for your loss. I would think that a pipe/blend mix that keeps the memories of your father alive. Then he will always be with you.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Anthony so sad for you, cry, it's a good thing when a loss so dear is thrust upon you. Tommorow morning I will smoke in his honor. We all love you Anthony. :crying:

Status
Not open for further replies.