PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Fifteen years ago this question would have been downright silly. But now it has to be asked, to wit, if you are with someone in, say, an outdoor Park,does a pipe smoker have to ask for permission to light up? L

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No. If they can't get away in the time it takes to pack and fire up a pipe, they don't deserve to escape!
Aah, just kidding. It's always polite to ask; usually the worst I get is, "Oh, no, I don't mind the smell of a pipe at all! Cigarettes, though..."

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

No, but I don't ask permission for most things I do.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I had a police officer advise me that it was illegal to smoke in a public park, so I glanced at the pile of cigarette butts at my feet, and wordlessly moved over a scant two meters where it was legal to smoke

Jun 4, 2014
I would have to say it depends on the situation. In a place like a park or someone's back yard at a picnic I would ask if they minded. At my house I can only suggest people who mind tobacco smoke move up wind of my location.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
If it is legal then you obviously don't have to, but I think what you are after is whether it is right to? In that case, I would say yes. If the person is close enough to where you are hanging out that your smoke is going to be up in their business, it would be polite to ask. If you are just walking by someone or whatever, I like to just take my pipe out of my mouth or at least not puff it to minimize any secondhand smoke.

stranger

Might Stick Around
Apr 27, 2016
I ask if they mind, but I typically know my audience well enough to assume their response. If I were to light up in my own yard, I wouldn't do it around children but the adults can find another place to stand if the smoke is bothering them.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I smoke on walks through public parks. But when I'm about to pass someone on the trail I wold the pipe down and avoid puffing until we've passed and they're not likely to smell the pipe. I try to err on the side of respectful, even if they'd likely not mind. For me, smoking is a private contemplative act anyway. I'd have no quarrel with people who'd do it otherwise though.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
No tobacco rules in the parks around here, though I would say that it would be polite to ask before lighting up if others are present.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Outside in a place that is open to the public, never ask, no one ever asked me if their dog could pee on the tree I was looking at or jog by as I walk.
This world is getting too PC, but I refuse to conform, or apologize for being a White, Middle Age, Heterosexual, Male

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Polite is always a nice thing... since there is so little of it any more. That whole "do unto others" thang as well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Outside in a place that is open to the public, never ask, no one ever asked me if their dog could pee on the tree I was looking at or jog by as I walk.
If you're walking about or sitting alone, fine. Otherwise, it's just manners.
This world is getting too PC, but I refuse to conform, or apologize for being a White, Middle Age, Heterosexual, Male
Agree. But thoughtfulness towards others has nothing to do with PC.
BTW, I am the same, but past middle age, and find no need for apologies either.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I call it simple consideration. If I feel my smoking would infringe on the rights of others, I simply wouldn't light up in the first place.
We are on the verge of extinction.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'll ask if I'm with other people. If I'm alone, or 100 feet or more from the nearest homo sapiens, probably not. These days I don't smoke in parks because of the dry conditions. Don't want to risk inadvertently starting a fire.

tdehart

Lurker
Aug 12, 2016
When I'm around people I usually don't ask but I do move farther away from them, light up, and am very conscious of where my smoke is going to make sure none of it goes in their direction. If it does go their way I end up either moving or let it go out.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I was with someone, I'd usually ask. Presumably they would be walking beside me or otherwise remain in conversational distance, therefore be exposed to the smell. It seems sort of trivial, but some people are asthmatic or, unknown to me, just got over some respiratory illness. Older folks and kids are especially due consideration. I would rather go without a smoke than make someone feel disregarded. If someone was being unpleasant or cocky, I might not ask. But then again, I think I might take my leave before enjoying a smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.