PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
IMG056.jpg

Ok, in the pipe pictured above (I hope you can see it, if not plz let me know). It's a Trevi Liscia 616. I love it to death, my wife bought it for me this past Valentines day/our fist anniversary. My questions is, so far I've only smoked Va from it. Black Woods flake, Red Cake 5100, C&D Manhattan Afternoon, OGS, ect. If I were to go and smoke say Frog Morton in it, would it ghost it? I like some English blends, but as you can see, I'm a Va guy. Just would like some input.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
I smoke my Lat blends in seperate pipes. I have put an aromatic back into a pipe that has been used for Lat only and I could taste it so, yes. It depends if you think that is a bad thing. It didn't really bother me but it does taint the taste of the other tobacco.

dhizzy

Aug 29, 2011
No problem. If I may make a suggestion, go get a MM Cob and smoke Lat blends in it for lets say, a month. Then throw a VA in it and see what you think. It may be tolerable. I know some guys don't mind it and smoke whatever in whatever and don't fret about it.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
15 years of piping and I have never rotated nor dedicated my pipes. After each smoke I run a cleaner tru it and bend the cleaner and run it around the inside of the bowl. I don't get ghosts. However, about once a month I do a really good cleaning on bowl, shank and stem with alochol.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Love the pipe! I also sort my pipe by the type of tobacco that will be smoked in it.
Winton

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I too smoke Va and Latakia containing tobaccos in different pipes. Straight Va is about subtlety and finesse in my eyes and I find that the little bit of Latakia in a Latakia pipe taints the Va to the point that the subtle high end spice and burnt sugar notes aren't very noticeable. There have been times when I had to use a Latakia pipe to smoke a bowl of straight Va from and was very pleasantly surprised by the crossover flavours that emerged. Now smoking Latakia containing tobaccos in a Va pipe seems to not bother the Latakia at all. I've even started to notice that the lighter English tobaccos that are more Oriental focused do better in their own pipes compared to smoking them out of a pipe dedicated to English tobaccos. Tobaccos like Samuel Gawith Skiff Mixture and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe, for me fall into a very separate category.

smokenscotch

Nov 23, 2011
I seperate my pipes from Latakia, not from a bad experience but rather why take the chance. I have numerous pipes, so I try to dedicate certain pipes also for certain blends. Generally.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I find it very hard to economically dedicate pipes to one tobacco. I don't own and can't afford enough pipes to end up with a pipe for each tobacco. To complicate things a bit farther, I find that certain pipes smoke certain tobacco types differently. When I get a new pipe I find that it takes to one certain tobacco type. Some pipes shine with Va while they seem to dull down Latakia containing mixtures and vice versa. Some pipes smoke aromatics very well, some pipes smoke Va/perique very well and so on and so fourth. I have definitely had times where I had too many pipes that smoked Va well and not enough Latakia pipes. I just think it would take forever and a hell of a lot of money to find enough pipes to dedicate to specific tobacco makes and models so to speak.

bobby46

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2012
I am far from being particular about anything. That said,
I choose a tobacco to suit my momentary particular mood. Wanting to taste only what I selected, I dedicate.
Mixing arbitrarily may not be objectionable to others.
There's always the salt/alcohol bath to remedy any "oops"

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Beautiful pipe. Yes, Latakia would leave a ghost but a few smokes of something else should clear it out. I don't dedicate my pipes either, I just smoke whatever I feel like in whatever pipe I want at the time.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I do dedicate pipes to either VA or English. Whether it's really necessary or not is an individual taste, and probably depends on the particular pipe and blend. But if you've got several pipes, I think it's a good idea to at least keep the 3 basic types separate: VA, English and Aromatic (if you smoke any aromatics).
Also, I find the VA blends tend to smoke hotter than the English ones, so that is the primary factor in choosing which one I dedicate a pipe to. Some pipes just smoke too hot for VA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.