PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.A.

Lurker
Oct 13, 2019

My husband and I bought this piece while out antiquing. We know that it's some type of smoking cabinet but no details. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It does seem to be that those are ashtrays, but I'm not sure about the shelves on the upper half, what they could be for. It's really neat though! Either you or your husband a smoker?

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
I'm going out on a limb here and say this was a record table. The albums would be in the slots on top and the player would slide out on a self down below. Just a guess. I'm no expert.

L.A.

Lurker
Oct 13, 2019
It does seem to be that those are ashtrays, but I'm not sure about the shelves on the upper half, what they could be for. It's really neat though! Either you or your husband a smoker?
We don't actually. We just saw this and had to have it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My guess is some sort of smoking cabinet/bar for a men's club. Liquor bottles on top during meetings. Cigars and glassware in the lower cabinet.

I really have no clue...that's just a guess.

L.A.

Lurker
Oct 13, 2019
I'm going out on a limb here and say this was a record table. The albums would be in the slots on top and the player would slide out on a self down below. Just a guess. I'm no expert.
30" high
20" wide
11" deep
I thought it may be to small for a record player.

L.A.

Lurker
Oct 13, 2019
My guess is some sort of smoking cabinet/bar for a men's club. Liquor bottles on top during meetings. Cigars and glassware in the lower cabinet.

I really have no clue...that' just a guess.
It looks like the slot underneath is just big enough for a humidor. We just can't find anything like it on the internet.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
The lock on the door makes me think that it's for liquor, cigars or other adult entertainment. Who locks there record player up and leaves the LP's out?

Reactions: L.A.

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
The lock on the door makes me think that it's for liquor, cigars or other adult entertainment. Who locks there record player up and leaves the LP's out?
Good catch, didn't see the lock. The overlayed wood strips on the bottom shelf made me think it would be framed for a record player. Perhaps L.A. will have to try using it for both and let us know which seems a more natural fit!

Smoking In The Fast Lane

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
California
To make this even more confusing... Every record player stand/cabinet I found online has the player on top, with room to access the player from above. Not what we have here...
Yes, please fill us in if you solve this mystery.

L.A.

Lurker
Oct 13, 2019
I will definitely let you guys know when/if we figure it out. Needless to say, it's definitely a conversation piece.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Do you have any more pictures from different angles? Any of the back or bottom?

The pieces that look like ashtrays might not be original to the piece. Any more pictures of them from different angles?

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
It looks like the metal cigar rest/ ashtrays would open to dump ashes into those blue glass vessels. Which is a pretty cool feature.

But I don't see anything else that would make it purpose built for smoking. Kinda the opposite, in fact.

Total guess: but maybe it was a self service cigar bar at a club or something. Loose cigars in the vertical open cubbies, storage beneath?

Status
Not open for further replies.