Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorchamp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2016
I enjoy smoking while walking, especially the city streets. You occasionally find pockets clam (no wind) to enjoy the smell of the pipe. Also in the city people tend to leave you alone with your smoke. In suburbia people get offended by the smoke around their house. Out in the countryside you have to deal with the wind. Fifth Avenue in NYC great place for a walk and a smoke.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
I live in a little river town. We got hit pretty hard back in 2008 and a lot of the houses that used to provide shelter from the wind are gone now and i tend to walk out the back side of town where we have corn fields and thats about it, so yeah it gets pretty windy on my walking route

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
My favorite and habitual lunting occurs in the pre dawn hours when I go out with my first or second bowl of the day to move around a tad and get the "blood" circulating.

When I 'walk', I'm going somewhere and typically going for exercise so the pipe is counter intuitive then..

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
My whole reason for walking is just to put distance between myself and people, a pipe is enjoyable during this time for me. And i mean, this isn't all that great of a town so, yeah pretty much anywhere i wqlk outside of town would be the backside

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
tenor.gif

I use a wind cap, they work great.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Windcaps are virtually useless when the wind is over 15 knots. Then, use a flat piece of wood and clamp it down with your hand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the term lunting is Scottish in origin and always lights up my spell-check, so it is likely not in any or many English language dictionaries. If I have this wrong, let me/us know.
An alternative to the wind cap, which is probably the best option, you can choose a tall/deep bowl and fill it partly full so the top of the tobacco is sheltered from the wind. Also, this supplies a little "cave" for lighting the pipe. If you smoke outdoors a lot, you'll learn by trial and error how to use trees, pillars, berms and other wind-blocks for enough shelter from the wind to light or relight your pipe. You won't get frustrated if you take it as a kind of sport, and it's satisfying when you get better at making it work.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
These days, "lunting" is a tad pejorative. Lunters (not a word) are men-boys who wear wool vests around town with various, but well-tended, facial hair... maybe with a pipe. Also, the guy with the $2000 shotgun who has never killed anything.
A colleague of mine installs radio transmitters in the anal region of rattlesnakes (actually, not euphemistically). When in Harvard Square with me, he would be amazed at the various humans. I would point and say, "Dead, my morning". This would refer to dropping off this or that sophisticate out in a rural area at midnight... as in, they wouldn't know what to do in the wild, even slightly wild. And would be dead my morning -- cause of death: panic, then running at highspeed into a tree.
No matter the weather, pause and tamp. Remember your pipe-fire is not a thing that resides on the surface: the bowl maintains a deep U-shaped blaze. Tamping turns the lowered-surface into dry fireless ash... who now cares if it blows away.
When walking, in a bit of a breeze, turn/raise/lower your head or briefly put your hand over the bowl. All of these actions are turn-ons for anyone observing you, so be cautious.
These are a few starting points: emerging from the inside, to smoke a pipe outside.
Also, many have gone outside before you:

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/wind-cap-1

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/march-is-almost-heredont-forget-the-wind-cap

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/diy-wind-cap
And there are many other links to this, on this Forum.

Reactions: TheWhale13

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Not the subject of this thread, but it is interesting that snowy's friend installs radio transmitters on rattlesnakes' nether ends. Sounds useless, but some really quirky science has apt results. There was a small device developed to measure the strength of mice and rats leaping forward when startled by a puff of air. It won a "golden fleece" award before the advocacy groups for various human neurological diseases spoke up pointing out the value of this in animal experiments showing the effects of various environmental exposures on the nervous system. Some of this work needs a lot of explaining.

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
radio transmitters on rattlesnakes' nether ends. Sounds useless, but some really quirky science has apt results

It tracks the season movements of an endangered species (in the Northeast of NA), covering miles. It can be used to protect their age-old territories from newcomers building roads to their vacation homes. Today, "try to protect" is better phrasing. This friend: not lunting when smoking his pipe.

quint

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2017
Same here, I walk for cardio exercise I just can't see enjoying a pipe. 8O
Me too. I usually walk for exercise, and smoke my pipe for relaxation. Cannot do both at the same time. Besides, I usually prefer indoor smoking, unless the weather is perfect.

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
To each their own.
On a side note, I can't wait to try out my newest pipes. Local tobacco outlet had Missouri Meerschaum pipes and i got one of the ozark mini pipes and an ozark mountain pipe.

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I know some folks like to mix their pleasures and that's great if it works for you. I am in many ways a Luddite and foursquare against multitasking of any sort. No drinking while driving. No smoking while walking. No eating while a football game is in progress and so on. I have always found that when you combine your pleasures you never seem to enjoy them as much. On the other hand, there's a reason why there are so many blends, so many different pipe shapes, and so many theories and traditions covering hot to pack, light, and successfully smoke your pipe. If something works for you, stick with it.
Speaking of multitasking, my son and I were watching "Forged In Fire" a couple of weeks ago and one of the finalists was shown working at his forge hammering away at a length of crazy hot metal while puffing merrily away on his pipe. I was astounded! For the life of me, I cannot figure out how he didn't bite through the stem while walloping his steel into shape. Yes, the pipe guy won. :)
Cheers,
Chili

samugeki123

Lurker
Nov 26, 2017
That is impressive! I would think that if he has been doing smithing long enough that he would be relaxed though.

Status
Not open for further replies.