PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I was curious if anyone has ever been hassled by people for smoking their pipe in public. More specifically a cob, as most people just associate them with weed smokers, especially where I live. Am I wrong in assuming that if a cop walked passed me ( I am a fairly young pipe smoker, over 21 though ), that he would more than likely start talking to me about what's in the pipe.
Maybe I am just over thinking this, but would like to hear other peoples experiences.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very few people use cobs for weed ... smoke in confidence and look 'em right in the eye. :puffy:
Also, very different smell from tobacco and cops know that smell.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Yeah very true, I'm not the kind of person that likes drawing attention to myself of any kind, yet I am the kind of person that loves real long churchwardens

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I say who really cares if people have a problem. You do what you want man, obviously you can't smoke in restaurants or buildings but outside is fair game. You walk past cigarettes and a pipe is way more classy and smell a hell of a lot better. And if a cop hassles you it's probably because he is jealous you are enjoying a pipe and he can't.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I thought you were going to say cobs are too folksy. Some Forums members have mentioned that, and I have strongly encouraged them to play against type and look for opportunities to smoke a cob in a dress suit or a tux. Tobacco pipes are so remote from current cultural patterns that, if you are in a place where you can smoke at all, you can pretty much do as you like, I think.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Age is part of the issue here. As you get older, you will give less of a fat rat's ass about how you look, or what people think. Smoke your cob. No big deal.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Yeah I guess so, I am very new to pipe smoking in general but from what I have seen here, in NYC anything goes

Jun 4, 2014
So people stare, point or whisper in hushed tones. Give them a nod and a wry smile, it will either leave them confused or grind their gears!

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
You don't seem like the show boating type. Maybe it's the public that ain't used to a fella with a pipe.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Very few people use cobs for weed ...
Any pipe that works for tobacco is probably going to be too harsh for weed, which burns hotter (and is drier) and so rewards small bowl, long stem pipes. Also if you do not act like a pothead (furtive, evasive) your average cop is going to keep on going.
But you can always throw on a Grateful Dead tshirt and Ron Paul beanie and see if that changes.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Hahaha thankyou for the encouragement everybody. Thankfully I do not own any clothes that closely resemble that of any type of hippie pot head lol

jessicac

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 7, 2014
I generally use the traditional looking pipes when smoking in public so I don't give off the impression of smoking weed. No comments of that nature unless I'm smoking the mini cob.
But as for the derogatory attitude to cobs, I think that because pipers are so rare these days that any pipe be it cob, briar, meer or whatever, is "hipster cool".

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hahaha, I live in China, I am white. People stare anyway :)

Seriously though, it's crazy how people can stare at foreigners in China. You can stare back, it doesn't change anything.

What I do then, I smile and wave, then finally I get a reaction different than the blank stare, they giggle and stop staring.
That bein said. smoking a foot-long pipe in public here wouldn't probably change anything to the staring.

And about cops... well, it's not like they are doing their jobs. And not a lot of people would be fool enough to smoke weed in public in China.

Knowing that carrying enough weed to be considered a dealer can get you a bullet ...

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I go lunting with my unfinished Generals, and the only reaction that I get is astonishment that it really is a corn cob. A young couple I met once had to inspect the pipe as they believed that it was wood carved to look like a cob.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I must agree with much of what's been said. It's to bad that the US has become so anti smoking. Yeah-yeah I understand the heath issue and cigarettes stink... but pipes??? Pipes smell great.
As for corn cobs, when I first began smoking pipes again, I thought corn cobs were ridiculously, something I'd never smoke. NOW!! I own several and enjoy them more then my briars.

elbert

Mar 10, 2015
The cob pipe is such a classic piece of Americana--exemplifying the best traits of homespun thrift and simplicity. Smoke it with pride.
One of my dreams is to carve a pipe from a corn cob grown on the family farm (the farm my Dad grew up on--my cousin farms it now).

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I thought you were going to say cobs are too folksy. Some Forums members have mentioned that, and I have strongly encouraged them to play against type and look for opportunities to smoke a cob in a dress suit or a tux. Tobacco pipes are so remote from current cultural patterns that, if you are in a place where you can smoke at all, you can pretty much do as you like, I think.
well said

Status
Not open for further replies.