PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Things being what they are with political correctness, it probably does not register with most non smokers what type of pipe you are smoking. I guess a cob is something they might relate to by movies or whatever, but it strikes me that if they are not negative about the smoke itself, the pipe you are smoking is more a thing your hung up about than them. :puffy:

porchsitter

Lurker
Oct 11, 2015
I have had someone make the international toke hand signal when I was smoking my cob in a public park. However, I figured it was more to do with my constant relighting than the cob itself! But whatever they think is fine. If they care to come ask if they can buy or offer to sell any of their smoking choice I will gladly show them my badge and handcuffs. It is called DOPE for a reason!

mrbigglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2015
Winston Salem, NC
I would not have associated a cob with smoking weed, either (reference seagulplayer). It makes sense, I guess, as they are cheap, but most are sold in high-end tobacco shops or must be purchased online (here in NC anyways). Every convenience store I go into has a case of "glass tobacco pipes" and we all know those are not for smoking tobacco. Never seen one of those at my pipe shop.
When somebody sees me with my pipe (cob or briar) and gives a strange look (which is very rare), I like to think it's because they are not used to seeing such sophistication and intelligence! People tend to smoke cigarettes because they're quick and disposable, or pot because it makes them seem cool.
Well you know what? I'm tired of living in a world where everything is disposable and where I have to live up to the expectations of people I don't even know. It seems everything is so fast-paced. And everything, including our expensive phones and computers, are made to be disposed of after a few years.
With my pipe I say, "Screw you, world! I'm not disposable, I'm here to stay. I'm not here to impress you. Take your political correctness and your rules and shove them up your....."
Okay, maybe I'm getting a little carried away. Smoke your pipe and enjoy it. Let the rest of the world follow the sheep off the cliff.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I'm tired of living in a world where everything is disposable and where I have to live up to the expectations of people I don't even know. It seems everything is so fast-paced. And everything, including our expensive phones and computers, are made to be disposed of after a few years.
I find this also disturbing and have a similar response. We are leaving behind heaps of junk as an insult to the great gift of life.
It's why I spent a fair amount of time restoring older machines. For most people, they don't need anything that was not around in 1997.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
With my pipe I say, "Screw you, world! I'm not disposable, I'm here to stay. I'm not here to impress you. Take your political correctness and your rules and shove them up your....."
I am totally with you! The world of today doesn´t understand the quiet tones... :clap:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If you're not smoking in a no-smoking area, you shouldn't have to explain it to people. I know they don't necessarily want my pipe tobacco with their lunch, even their picnic lunch, and they may feel protective of their kids' fresh air. On the other hand, some people just want an excuse to enforce rules that may or may not exist or apply. With another rule, like not taking flash pictures in an art museum, I've had to lecture silly museum guests that photos are okay, just not flash pictures. Blah-blah. Most people don't want to bother with it, just want to be left alone, and won't complain even in a no-smoking area. I try to be considerate, careful, and if pressed rightly or wrongly, just leave the area. I don't want to abuse others (if they're in the right or have justification) and I don't want to be around crazies who don't. It's seldom worth the heroics, even if you way-have the upper hand.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
As someone who served 21 years in a military service which spent a lot of time seizing and arresting people smuggling marijuana, I can safely say there is no way to confuse the smell of pot with any good pipe tobacco I've ever smoked.
That being said, I have been known to smoke one of my cobs while wearing my Grateful Dead T-Shirt.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Smoked a cob with PA while wearing a cowboy hat in the Iwan Ries smoking lounge about three years ago.

When you reach a certain age you no longer give a rats ass what others think.

Other than that I've never heard of cobs being associated with smoking weed, but then again it's been about 45 years or so since I've been into that sort of thing.

samanden

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 11, 2013
Alexandria, VA
While I smoke all of my pipes in public (even my meerschaum churchwarded), I only smoke my cob on public beaches; it seems to fit the aesthetics and for some reason my cob does particularly well against a strong ocean breeze.

drunkblowhard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2015
I get the the occasional double take while driving around LA with a pipe clenched. I take it as a compliment!

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I have had someone make the international toke hand signal when I was smoking my cob in a public park. However, I figured it was more to do with my constant relighting than the cob itself! But whatever they think is fine. If they care to come ask if they can buy or offer to sell any of their smoking choice I will gladly show them my badge and handcuffs. It is called DOPE for a reason!
Why, Porchsitter? Is there something inherently worse about peacefully smoking marijuana in public than tobacco? As smokers, we should be the last ones to think that just because a law exists, that makes it just or worth enforcing, right? Not trying to start a fight, but if we want tolerance for our vices, we need to tolerate others'.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'd much rather 20 guys have a pipe and then go jump into their vehicles than four guys smoking marijuana and then climbing into their cars and heading out in the interstate.
Also, the citizens make the law and then hire cops to enforce them. Cops have a bit of discretion but, the citizens pay the salary and make the rules. You can make the choice to break the rules, just shut up about it and take your medicine when you get busted. Your choice, society's rules.
Edit: And for crying out loud do not bring liquor into this discussion. Apples and oranges.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Driving while intoxicated is its own separate crime. Whether it's booze, weed, blow or prescription pills, you can't do that, and if you get popped, you get popped. And liquor and marijuana are apples and oranges. One is a powerful, addictive, CNS-depressant that kills many people each year. The other is marijuana.
Cops have a LOT of discretion, most places. And legally, tobacco and marijuana are heading in two different directions. Do pipe smokers want allies when it comes to smoking bans, or do they want to carve out exemptions only for themselves (and fail)?
Sorry. I know this isn't a political forum, but working in a police office, every day I see people justify what they do while condemning what others do, when morally, there isn't much difference. You know what the difference between someone who takes 8 hydrocodones a day and a heroin addict is? Health insurance and access to a doctor. Just sayin'

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
when morally, there isn't much difference. You know what the difference between someone who takes 8 hydrocodones a day and a heroin addict is? Health insurance and access to a doctor. Just sayin'
I'm sure my wife who shattered 3 vertebrae in a car accident will appreciate you comparing her to a heroin addict. Paint the whole world with a broad brush and someone will take that brush and shove it up your ass. Just sayin'

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Two different situations entirely. But, it begs the question: Do we really want to add another hazard to the road? Just saying. Driving while impaired is driving while impaired and we certainly do not need to add to the carnage. So, legalizing another vice, while admirable in some ways, simply adds to the problem. That's a no-brainer. To deny marijuana to the mix will have consequences. Just more impaired drivers on the road. I'm not saying one is better than the other, driving under the influence of either is hazardous.
I seriously doubt people will fund the needed enforcement or the additional jail beds. I'm not looking at it as a problem of morals. Society will find that the unintended consequences are expensive in moneys and lives. I understood who I worked for, I just never understood the unwillingness to shell out the moneys for the additional enforcement and prosecution.
The result of society legalizing additional vices is increasing need for more police, courts, prison beds, and road carnage. If that is acceptable far be it from me to decry what what the voters want. Just wish they were so willing to pay for the consequences.

fordm60

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2014
Warren, I can see your point. But I also know between a drunk and someone on marijuana the guy on marijuana is much, much easier to deal with. When I got out of the service I was a reserve deputy in Montana. I know you have much more LEO experience than I do. But drunks were always unpredictable and tended towards violence. The marijuana user was the opposite, perhaps not a pleasure to deal with, but if I had the choice of which I have deal with I pick the stoner every time. There are always exceptions, but overall that was what I experienced.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
So, I was going to comment on smoking a cob in public, but I think I entered the wrong thread? Hmmm strange I could have swore it was in here....

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Here in Vegas people usually use glass pipes or water bongs for weed. Some have gone all techy and vape. Haven't heard of anyone around here using a corn cob for weed. Most pot users say it'd be stupid to because the corn or briar would absorb the THC and you wouldn't get as high as if you used a glass pipe or water bong.
I don't smoke in public much and I don't think I've ever smoked a cob in public. I may change that this year though. Picked up one of those awesome Mark Twain models and this time of year seems fitting for a cob to me. Strolling around with a cob full of Sleepy Hollow from Straus, don't think it gets more fall than that.

samon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2015
I have never seen a person but myself and my father in law smoke a corn cob. ( I bought him the cob so..)
And I haven't seen anyone but my father in law smoke a pipe in several years! The only piper I can think of is an old man who lived near my wifes house when we were young, he smoked a Falcon I think and something really nice smelling. He'd walk miles each day and we'd pass him now and then.
And I've never once assumed anyone was smoking weed in an actual pipe.. nor would I if I saw a youngster with a pipe in public.
Annnd, of all the loser pot heads I've known over the years, not a single one smoked weed in a pipe that wasn't some gross little metal crack pipe thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.