PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I frequently allow my pipe to go dead and then carry it in my mouth while I'm out and about. No one has challenged me as I go about my business in the drug or liquor store. In fact, it has initiated some coversations, usually along the lines of, "My Uncle (My Grandpa, My Date, etct) uses to smoke a pipe when I was little and I love the smell."
Like ChasingMember, some I've met refuse to believe my MM Freehand is a real cob.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Eh, just get a Missouri Meerschaum General Corncob, some dark Ray-Bans, a general's cap, and ignore 'em.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice, Ari! I really like that idea.
But I wouldn't smoke a churchwarden in public- too dangerous if there's a crowd- or when walking.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Chit, I wander the Phoenix Metro area with one of my Cobs dangling from my mouth. All I have ever gotten was smiles and head nods. All I do is smile and nod back. Cobs brings back memories of childhood and past family members.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I don't see there being any hassle unless you are behind the dumpster hunched over and start coughing after you blow a little smoke. The rare occasions I do smoke my pipe in public, I do generally get out of the way, but don't act ashamed. As long as your respectful and don't go blowing smoke in peoples faces it shouldn't ever be a problem :). However, it will get you a few different looks. The first time I smoked my pipe in public I was just sitting up against the car out of the way. A guy looked at me when he passed and did a double take. I could have sworn his eyes were going to fall out. I guess he either though I had quite a pair on me or was just shocked to see someone smoking a pipe in general. So, in itself should just be worth a laugh.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've taken my Freehand to the softball field and got called "General"...I didn't mind.

I've taken my Morgan to the softball field and got called "Popeye"...I didn't mind.

I've taken my pipes to the softball field and had some of the guys come over to me just to catch a whiff and tell me that they loved the smell of pipes.

I've left about 4 gloves at the softball field and never got them back.

I've placed my pipes up on the ledge in the dugout while I play and have not forgotten one yet.

The last triple crown winner in baseball, used to smoke in the dugout between innings. (Yaz)

eriksmokes85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2015
I feel like most people stare because the last time they saw a person really enjoying a tobacco pipe was some older fellow when they were a kid, so to see it now is just not so common. most people that i have encountered while smoking in public strike up a conversation with me about their childhood and what not. maybe its cause i like in woods and farms area..

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Had my corn wasp on my desk at work last night, and it attracted more curious individuals than any of my pipes ever have. Had to remove the stem plug for several of them to prove that it is indeed a real corn cob. :mrgreen:

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I work for a college police department (not as an officer), and knowing a few things about cops, here are my suggestions:
If you're in an area where smoking is allowed, you have a right to smoke the pipe. Smoking a cob would almost certainly not qualify as a reasonable suspicion that you're doing anything illegal, which is the legal standard to initiate a stop. It DEFINITELY doesn't qualify as probable cause to initiate a search without your consent. That said, police officers can ask you anything you want. How I would answer in that situation would depend on a number of factors. Is the cop asking out of friendly curiosity? If so, there's nothing wrong with being social. He may have an interest in pipe smoking himself. If he/she was being accusatory, I'd be a lot less friendly and willing to talk. Feel free to ask the direct question: Am I being detained or am I free to go. Ask it until you get a yes or no answer. The truth is that even if most police officers are hard-working, decent folks (and most are), there is a "compliance culture" that has permeated the profession here in the U.S., and so some officers do not seem to show enough respect to the idea that if a citizen is not doing anything wrong, they have the right to be left alone.
I'm new to pipe smoking, but I use cobs. I don't hesitate to smoke them in public. Can a cob be used to smoke cannabis? Sure it can. But so can a briar or meerschaum or a can of pepsi, or even an apple. Smoking a cob is not sufficient by itself to be suspicious.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Actually, you will look suspicious....
Suspiciously like an unpretentious person of good taste who recognizes value*
*Not a knock on briars or meerscahums. I plan on buying some briars once I get a little cash saved up and develop my technique a bit more.

seagullplayer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 30, 2014
Indiana
I would not have made the connection with cobs and weed.
I have found that nine times out of ten when I notice people staring at me I need to check my hair... :D

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Can a cob be used to smoke cannabis? Sure it can. But so can a briar or meerschaum or a can of pepsi, or even an apple. Smoking a cob is not sufficient by itself to be suspicious.
Great summary. The fact that 99% of the cob smokers are using it for tobacco helps too!

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I know people who are very reluctant to smoke a cob in public. For decades, those who did were considered a country rube. I've done it, and never concerned myself with what somebody thought when I did.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Briar pipes are a beautiful, old world, artisan artform. But ultimately, the point of smoking a pipe is to enjoy tobacco, and cobs are fine for that. One benefit pipe smoking has over other forms of tobacco use is that it can be done on just about any budget. There appears to be a ton of blends and styles that range from dirt cheap to expensive as hell, but quality doesn't equal price. Cobs allow people on a tight budget to enjoy the hobby.
Of course, many prominent folks prefer cobs (insult Mark Twain, and we've got beef). We should reject any attempts at snobbery and looking down on people for how they choose to enjoy tobacco. Life is short. Smoke what you like, and how you like it!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
When I smoke in public its always with a cob, as that's what I carry in my pipe go-bag. I've never had any issues, and when people look a little to long I just say hello and ask how their day is going. I usually get a cordial response and they continue on. Don't be afraid to enjoy your cobs in public.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I use to take my second born son on walks around the block when he was young. I would bring a pipe with me and sip on an aromatic in my cob as we walked. One day this couple commented, " you can't wait to get high?" I just said it is a tobacco pipe and moved on. Now I live in California so there is lots of pot smoking going on but....funny how no one conects pipes to,tobacco any more.

swedishpiper

Lurker
Sep 17, 2015
I have 3 pipes but none of them cobs. However, my friends and I smoke our pipes down at a couple of our fav bars in town. We have gotten some sideways glances from time to time, but more often than not we have received nods of appreciation and a few conversations about tobacco. A couple of weeks ago the bartender at our fav craft brewery in town came out to tell us that the customers inside were inquiring about the smoke they were smelling. He told them it was pipe tobacco and asked if they would like him to close the door. They said no, that they were enjoying the smell.
Smoke in confidence! Those who are going to complain are going to find something to complain about regardless.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Buster:
Yeah, living in Oakland (well sort of), the smell of marijuana is everywhere. It's essentially decriminalized (and really, the police have much more important things to do), and outright legal for those with medical recs. You definitely see more people smoking weed in the Bay Area than tobacco pipes. Hey, as far as I'm concerned that's fine. Nobody is bothering me by smoking herb. What galls me a bit though is the attitude some weed smokers take towards tobacco smokers. I am sure it goes both ways, but I'm all about respect and tolerance. It's all about that pursuit of happiness.
Like Swedishpiper says, there are some people who will be hell-bent on finding something to complain about. These people don't seem to understand that the nature of living in a society means that you put up with some things you don't personally like, but that don't tangibly harm you, so that you will be left alone when it comes to the things you do that others don't like. Working in a PD, I see this all the time. It's unbelievable the kinds of things people will snitch on others for. Things that have zero or minimal effect on the complainants. I suppose their lives are so perfect that they no longer need to work on themselves and are free to start working on others' shortcomings? Yeah, right....

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have a friend that smokes Hippie Cabbage out of that tiny little cob they make that looks like it belongs on a key chain.

Status
Not open for further replies.