PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

nunnster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 17, 2019
@op, there are actually many smokers rights groups, as well as various other groups that could be lumped into that umbrella (vapers advocates and such). The problem with them is that they are small in number and resources (aka money) to make a dent in public policy, especially when you have big pharma, big health, and to a lesser extent big tobacco who lobbies for policies that benefit their sectors. Without making it political, I cant say much more. But to that end my biggest pet peeve of all time is the "truth" campaign because they do nothing but misinterpret data and claim it as scientific fact. I did about a 10 page report slamming them at one point in time...

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
charred outside, still bleeding inside
My grandfather was a big fan of extremely rare steak. I recall once when I was very young he served some steaks off the grill and his brother looked at it and said "Jesus, Frank. I've seen animals get better that were hurt worse than that."

Jun 9, 2018
England
Forest are a UK based smokers rights group that trys to hold back the tide of regulation and keep the nanny state at bay, they've been around for 40 years and according to the website were founded in 1979 by Sir Christopher Foxley-Norris, a former Battle of Britain fighter pilot and lifelong pipesmoker.

When I just looked one of the articles was about Ashmobs which are the smokers version of a Flashmob ie a load of people turn up to the same space unannounced and light up their ciggy or pipe or whatever.

The web address is www.forestonline.org
Chris

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
When I was in veterinary school we visited farms where bone and blood flour were standard components of cow rations. Then they wonder why mad cow disease... :roll:
They were also fed chicken shit. No shit.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
@Olkofri: I've heard all that before...and quite a bit more. That's interesting you got to see it first hand.
I've heard about some documentaries on corporate farms, but I don't want to watch them because I don't think I could stomach it.
I'm very much a meat eater, but the way things are done at these horror-show factory farms is an abomination.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hard to imagine the diet of feedlot cattle. Unsettling to say the least. I eat some meat with every meal except some breakfasts. Love the taste, but trying to not overdo it.

biggdonn

Lurker
Jun 7, 2019
I am the OP on this thread. Reading over the responses, I guess I should qualify a couple of things. Perhaps I should not have used the term "rights" in my original post, but by the term I did not mean a "right" as in The BIll Of Rights, I just meant a right to go unmolested as you are going about smoking a pipe without harming anyone else. My goal in trying to find like minded people is to eventually, if necessary, be organized to push back when things start to reach what seems like the eventual conclusion will be: a ban on sale and possession of tobacco. The one possible saving grace on this will be if there are enough tax dollars to be had by selling tobacco that governments will not want to lose the revenue, and thus will not put full on bans in place.
BTW- People thought I was crazy when I said about 20 years ago that tobacco would eventually become illegal, and marijuana would become legal. But I think I am safe in standing by the statement, though it may be another 50 years before that process is complete.
On another subject which got into this thread some way, regarding cattle feed: I used to do some photography work for Progressive Farmer, and I took photos regarding this subject (someone else wrote the copy)- it is 100% true that processed chicken manure IS used in cattle feed. Someone figured out that chickens only digest about 40% of what they eat. So they came up with a way to gather chicken manure and process it, or the undigested portions of it, into cattle feed. Just how bad this is I don't know, but it is true that it goes on, I have seen it first hand.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
It's is sometimes hard top find and often expensive but, the only beef to see the inside of my smoker or the grill is grass fed. Check the web, look for small, family owned ranches. Refine that down to ranches which offer distinct cuts as opposed to boxes of selected cuts. I do not buy quarters or halves, no need. I by only the cuts I want.
I use one ranch, in Nebraska, unnamed, which meets my requirements and "wet" hangs for 30+ days. There is a bit of corn finishing which, I have live with even though it deadens the grass flavor a bit. Hopefully, the US will allow the importing of Irish beef again. And, Spain has recently been exporting beef from a steer only found in Spain. I'm anxious to to try it. Even the Irish rave about it.
I remember hearing my mother say, fifty years ago, that smoking tobacco would be extinct in time. I believed her, even as I lit up a Camel, as there is nothing efficacious about incinerating tobacco and absorbing the carcinogens and nicotine. But, I've enjoyed it for sixty plus years.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
Don't ask me, I CURRENTLY live in California! Most of the smoking warnings you see on your tobacco cans are courtesy of California!? Unless its marijuana, the rest of us have very little rights, if any... :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't smoke away from home that much, not off the property. When traveling, so far, I've found accommodations for smoking, outdoor areas, ashtrays, etc. So far, evading hassle means 1) avoiding obvious no-smoking areas, seems obvious but some don't observe this, 2) avoid crowded areas -- someone is asthmatic, highly allergic, using an oxygen tank, etc., 3) avoid any area where people are eating, since people (even smokers) don't want your blend with their potato salad necessarily, 4) avoid kids, since this is always a flash point both in terms of smoke and setting an example, 5) walking always helps since it makes you transitory and more work to scold, 5) be aware of fire hazards, like smoking in wooded or brush areas where there is plenty of natural fuel for fires, 6) gas stations and barns, other areas where there are flammables. And other stuff that you realize. There are always angry people looking to vent, but most are happy to let you go your way if possible. Note: Please give your original posts initial capitalized titles. See most titles; that's the form.

Status
Not open for further replies.