PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I have been smoking pipe for a year already and there were times that I was smoking 3 bowls a day, however I have never had this before. I was just enjoying a bowl of pipe (max 2 bowls) in the evenings and few days ago I realized that there was a small bump between hard and soft palate of mine. I stopped smoking pipes since then and right now I have 3 or 4 small red dots on my palate. They are painless but will hurt if I drink or eat something hot. I think smoking a specific blend in my p-lip Peterson pipe caused it, I cannot remember the blend though, I think it was Va/Bur. In order to speed up the recovery I have to quit smoking cigarettes as well, but I can't :roll: Has anyone ever had it before? It is said that after quitting it takes up to 2 weeks for the palate to heal.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Two trips to the dentist's ago, they told me I had it. They called it specifically "pipe stomatitis".(seriously) I didn't know I "had it". So far I've never had pain with it or anything like you describe. My awareness is only of a kind of coated feeling on the palate. It is a reminder to me that in some respects, we really are playing with fire in this hobby of ours. Apparently the condition can just stay static for some as one continues to smoke. (Also, I generally only smoke once a day... a bowl, sometimes two in the evening.)

bryguysc

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2015
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stomatitis_nicotina
Could be that the p-lip directs more heat at your palate.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
My awareness is only of a kind of coated feeling on the palate.
Right Jerwynn, I smoked a bowl of pipe, then had that coated feeling on the palate. Until that time, I have had that same feeling 2 or 3 times during a year. The first time was when I smoked Va/Per in my p-lip Peterson. When I had the feeling before, I just stopped smoking but this time I lit another bowl. I think the second bowl made the situation worse. I had the coated feeling on my palate until next day and then I felt a small bump on palate during afternoon.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I only have 1 p-lip out of 50 pipes... so it might not be exactly that. The dentist said it was the effect of "hot smoke" in the mouth in general. I guess if we're smart enough to direct it away from our tongues, it has to maraud somewhere! What we need is some sort of health-care perfeshunnel to bop in here and enlighten us! (Googling "pipe stomatitis" some time back was entirely GROSS!!! Lots of fine 3rd world old men with rotten teeth and even rottener mouths... VERY scary!! And then there were their wives... oooooooo... shudder! Some things you cannot un-see.)

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
My awareness is only of a kind of coated feeling on the palate.
And here I thought it was just me.
I wouldn't blame the P-lip though. I usually get it from over doing it on the pipe smoking. In fact I'm suffering from it right now. Remedy - zero smoking until gone. Unfortunately that may take up to a month, at least in my particular experience. It happens to me a few times per year which is rather frustrating having to take so much time off the pipe.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
Remedy - zero smoking until gone. Unfortunately that may take up to a month, at least in my particular experience.
:-(
May I ask how much you smoke during a day? I don't think that I over-smoke, 1 or 2 bowls after the dinner, max 2-3 bowls during the weekends. I rarely smoke 3 bowls a day. Hot smoke was the reason I guess. Need to dry my tobacco more.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
May I ask how much you smoke during a day?
Over smoking in my case is averaging 2-3 bowls per day for 3-4 weeks. Suddenly, I realize I've over done it and there's nothin I can do but wait it out. However, I'm sure that each individual differs,

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
I find myself frequently envious of the leather&nomex mouthed guys on here that can smoke half a dozen bowls a day or more with a wonderously rotating variety of blends! Och, laddies, another pipe-dream! But seriously, wouldnt that be like the pipe-guy's version of going to Paradise with 72 virgins or something?!? 72 Mature Blends even better!!!!

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
I find myself frequently envious of the leather&nomex mouthed guys on here that can smoke half a dozen bowls a day or more with a wonderously rotating variety of blends!
I guess it takes some time to become a leather mouthed veteran pipe smoker.

Status
Not open for further replies.