PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
@jpmcwjr I agree, there's so much out there right now at least in the US that I am sure there's a blend that will satisfy. I have started trying out bulk blends and I can see why all the cellar pics have many giant Mason Jars.
Bulk is great for day to day smoking and you can try different blends without breaking the bank.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
@judcole , some of the unobtanium blends are available right now at SH,

All I know is that so far in my limited experience, this one particular blend is the best blend I have tasted and I placed another order yesterday to put a few away, and there are still more on their shelves waiting for anybody to push the Buy-it-Now button.

BTW, Regarding some of other unobtaniums? I had a pretty lofty goal to purchase and cellar a fair amount of them, and in 3 months I have achieved my cellar goal and almost all of it was purchased only at retail prices with very little effort and my fingers doing all the walking. Okay, I DID pay $160 shipped for a pound (2 bags) of Penzance because THAT one really is Unobtanium... :)

It's out there if you want it. Not like Captain Jack is out there, but it can be found if you look around and have friends who are looking and willing to share their findings.
If you choose to spend that kinda money for a tobacco, be my guest. I smoked a lot of Penzance, back when it was easy to find. It is very nice stuff, but for $160 I can buy a lot of tobacco. To each his own. puffy

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
Number 8 Slices, one of Peretti's flakes, may be my all time favorite -- virginia, perique, and burley.
If Peretti were the only vendor, the world wouldn't be much the worse off, imho.

Reactions: SpookedPiper
Jun 23, 2019
If you choose to spend that kinda money for a tobacco, be my guest. I smoked a lot of Penzance, back when it was easy to find. It is very nice stuff, but for $160 I can buy a lot of tobacco. To each his own. puffy

+1 But that's the thing with hobbies: people tend to do inexplicable things. To be fair, in the grand scheme of hobbies, tobacco (even at the astronomical cosignment prices) are still relatively cheap.

Reactions: sandollars

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm that way with Sobranie. I smoked it in the early 70s. When I was able to get my hands on some a few years back, i bought two tins. Could barely get through one. Sold or traded the other.
I feel EXACTLY the same way about Germain's truly vile version of Balkan Sobranie.
I smoked the real deal in the '70's and loved it. When I heard that Germain's had resurrected Balkan Sobranie I bought a stack of it. It wasn't hard to find and you could buy without limit.

I figured how bad could it be?

I found out.

It tastes like it's been topped with essence of doggie fart mixed with gasoline.

That stack is still in the cellar. At some point I'll trade it or do the world a favor and dump it in the garbage.

Reactions: judcole
I feel EXACTLY the same way about Germain's truly vile version of Balkan Sobranie.
I smoked the real deal in the '70's and loved it. When I heard that Germain's had resurrected Balkan Sobranie I bought a stack of it. It wasn't hard to find and you could buy without limit.

I figured how bad could it be?

I found out.

It tastes like it's been topped with essence of doggie fart mixed with gasoline.

That stack is still in the cellar. At some point I'll trade it or do the world a favor and dump it in the garbage.

Oh c;mon Sable, stop holding back. Tell us how you REALLY feel! LOL! rotf

Reactions: sablebrush52

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
That WAS holding back. It's a 3¢ blend in a $40 tin. Put this abomination in a different tin with different labeling, including biohazard warnings, and bury it deep with the other waste product.
Please Sable..No Dumping! "HOW DARE YOU..."
but if you do, let us know so we can help you keep the environment safe for our kids!?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I'd be willing to dispose of such in a responsible manner....

Also thinking, what if you let the BS off gas till very very dry, then re-hydrate to taste?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Please Sable..No Dumping! "HOW DARE YOU..."
but if you do, let us know so we can help you keep the environment safe for our kids!?
I could not consider exposing you to the dangers of Germain's Balkan Sobranie. It would amount to a crime against humanity, and the only reason I want to revisit the Hague is to enjoy the best rice staffel in the world..

Status
Not open for further replies.