Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I am just a toddler in this pipe smoking hobby, but I just enjoyed the finest tobacco I have had to date and went to look it up on here and almost no one is talking about it.

It's a Balkan by Smokers' Haven called Our Best Blend. Holy SH*t! IT was like smoking through a journey: There were myriads of layers, never got harsh, ZERO bite and flavor? The flavor was so complex I would have to use too many adjectives to describe it and risk personal violations of the Anti-Verbose act of 2016.

I have not tried the Balkans Sobranie, Penzance, or the Frog's Swamp (on the Bayou) yet as I am working up to the Legends, but I can't imagine it getting any better than this fine Balkan...

THIS is one tobacco I would dearly miss if it went away. You owe it to yourself to give this stuff a try. Smokers' Haven is VERY PROUD of this stuff based on the price....

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hahaha, it is a very well known and respected tobacco. Germain (Esoterica) Blends them for SH.

Their Exotique mixture, and really all the blends SH makes are always in high demand. If you like it stock up while you can, they are often unavailable for pretty good stints.

Reactions: jpmcwjr and dmcmtk
I heard about Smokers Haven before ... last week when someone was talking about Esoterica and comparing them to Smokers Haven, I quickly checked and found they are available.
Since I had checked them many times before, and always found them Out Of Stock, I immediately seized the opportunity and got some.

Sometimes I do let TAD and PAD (specially PAD) go out of control. In terms of TAD, I buy about three times I smoke in a month, so my cellar is growing, slowly but surely. October TAD was out of control though with me buying about 7 times of what I smoke in a month.

I have 50+ distinct blends (more likely to be 80 or so) in my cellar and most are 1 tin deep. I plan to smoke a variety

@alaskanpiper and a lot of other forum members have been very helpful in pointing out recommendations and where to get them!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I know I am just a toddler in this pipe smoking hobby, but I just enjoyed the finest tobacco I have had to date and went to look it up on here and almost no one is talking about it.

It's a Balkan by Smokers' Haven called Our Best Blend. Holy SH*t! IT was like smoking through a journey: There were myriads of layers, never got harsh, ZERO bite and flavor? The flavor was so complex I would have to use too many adjectives to describe it and risk personal violations of the Anti-Verbose act of 2016.

I have not tried the Balkans Sobranie, Penzance, or the Frog's Swamp (on the Bayou) yet as I am working up to the Legends, but I can't imagine it getting any better than this fine Balkan...

THIS is one tobacco I would dearly miss if it went away. You owe it to yourself to give this stuff a try. Smokers' Haven is VERY PROUD of this stuff based on the price....
If I remember the story correctly, Our Best Blend was created by Germain's for Smoker's Haven as a Balkan Sobranie copy. I have an 8oz tin from 2005 that uses Syrian Latakia.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I have a 2 oz. tin of Balkan Sobranie jarred. Like so many blends, I have only smoked one bowl of it and don’t even remember this one. I will need to revisit.
It's always interesting to find the folks who smoke the Legends for the first time. They go ecstatic. Then the folks who smoked those blends for the first time 40 or 50 years ago chime in and say, "Meh, it's not what it was then."
I'm that way with Sobranie. I smoked it in the early 70s. When I was able to get my hands on some a few years back, i bought two tins. Could barely get through one. Sold or traded the other.
I smoked several of the SH blends back when they were easier to get. Now, I don't even try. They were good. but I don't chase unobtanium.

Reactions: sablebrush52

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast
I too have cellered some of the SH blends untasted and prior to finding slightly more love for the vapers than the English. That being said once I couldn't find any of this Penzance of which you speak, I was enlightened that Gawith was making those blends and with determination continued to check thier website the SH blends are becoming available way more frequently lately. It seems that they are getting more regular shipments in and you can purchase them on a back order and they will ship when available.

I assume that they are more available as they are 20$+ per tin, questioning their worth!

The one they don't ever seen to get is SH krumble Kake, so if anyone out there has and is willing to sell please let me know!!? This too is of legendary status...

@judcole , some of the unobtanium blends are available right now at SH,

All I know is that so far in my limited experience, this one particular blend is the best blend I have tasted and I placed another order yesterday to put a few away, and there are still more on their shelves waiting for anybody to push the Buy-it-Now button.

BTW, Regarding some of other unobtaniums? I had a pretty lofty goal to purchase and cellar a fair amount of them, and in 3 months I have achieved my cellar goal and almost all of it was purchased only at retail prices with very little effort and my fingers doing all the walking. Okay, I DID pay $160 shipped for a pound (2 bags) of Penzance because THAT one really is Unobtanium... :)

It's out there if you want it. Not like Captain Jack is out there, but it can be found if you look around and have friends who are looking and willing to share their findings.

Status
Not open for further replies.