PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokershaven

Lurker
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus, Ohio USA
There is a lot of mis-information about the relationship between esoterica and smokers haven. To the best of my knowledge this is what happened.
Penzance was modeled after our Krumble Kake in the late 1980's but there is a difference in the recipie. Here is what actually happened:
Back in the 1940's the founder of Smokers' Haven, Joe Zieve, developed Krumble Kake and contracted with Sobranie to make the blend and get the equipment made to make it. In the late 1970's when Sobranie closed the factory, some of the equipment and recipies were transferred over the Germain. Germain continued to product the blends until about 1984/85. The second owner of Smokers' Haven ceased purchasing from Germain at this time. In 1988 after my father took over Smokers' Haven, Germain approached him to re-establish business, but at the time my father refused. He then connected with an old Smokers' Haven customer, Steve Richman from Piedmont Tobacconist to do business with. Steve wanted the SH blends replicated, but luckily for SH Germain only made 3 of the blends close and not exact. Margate was modeled after OBB, Pembroke was modeled after Cognac, and Penzance was modeled after Krumble Kake. The Esotericas were born and then shortly sold to Butera. In 2003 I reconnected with Germain and asked him and Mike Butera if they would work with me to bring the blends back. They agreed.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I asked Greg Pease about the origins of the Esoterica blends, as he was one of the testers for Steve Richman, and he remembered being given two very similar Germain's blends to try from their catalog. One of them, which he thought to be Krumble Kake, had less Latakia in it, and Richman decided to go with the heavier one for Penzance.

deltasix

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
Has anyone who preordered tins this time around received their order yet? The expected date of shipping was after 11/20/2018. I placed an order, but it is still "awaiting fulfillment". Any information would be greatly appreciated.

techie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2018
I emailed them the beginning of last week and the response was that it should go out that week. However, nothing yet, and still shows "Awaiting Fulfillment".

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
wait·ing

[ˈwādiNG]
NOUN

the action of staying where one is or delaying action until a particular time or until something else happens.

synonyms:

eager · excited

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
Nada, as in nothing yet.
I emailed him 12/12 and he said he was behind and hoping to get them out in the next day or so. I still haven’t seen or heard anything since. :crying:

flymapper

Lurker
Sep 27, 2013
emailed late last week, he's working hard to get the orders shipped, it's never a fast process, but he's always been reliable. I imagine he's gotten swamped given that it probably all got ordered in a very short time.

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
What a coincidence, I just received an email saying my order has shipped (guessing the label was created and will ship tomorrow).
Great news! Fortunate to live only a couple hours away, should get it soon!

deltasix

Lurker
Dec 19, 2018
Thanks for your responses. I know this tends to happen from other threads I have read about SH preorders, so I wasn't too worried. I was just anxious, I guess. This is my first time ordering tins from SH and I was happy to catch the opportunity for once! I understand Premal is the only one handling the orders and he needs time to fill them. I'm glad to hear that the orders are going out. Enjoy, gentlemen!

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I received my shipping notice this morning. Also my first time ordering from them, so next time I'll know what to expect.

eltice

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 28, 2012
I received my tobacco today, an early gift to myself! Lol
Merry Christmas!

mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
What does exotique compare too im very curious before i over extend lol my pad and tad have been rather busy today

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
What does exotique compare too im very curious before i over extend lol my pad and tad have been rather busy today
Exotique was compared to Esoterica Margate earlier in this thread. If that's even remotely true I'm going to be super happy. Absolutely love Margate but could only get one tin a couple of weeks ago. Trying really hard not to burn through it too fast but I can't stay away from it. Fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies.