PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
So Condorlover sent me a sample of Balkan Sobranie. He bought the tin in 1985 and it has been gathering dust until recently when he divided it up and sent it out to some folks. I got a sample big enough for about 5 bowls. I saw a tin of this era sell on ebay recently for $460. At the time I thought that price was crazy and still do to some extent. It made me think of big Game tickets like the Super Bowl that sell for thousands of dollars. And the question arises what would you do, go to the game or sell the tickets? I'de probably sell the tickets, but after smoking this vintage Balkan Sobranie, if someone gave me a sealed 30 year old tin, I would crack that baby open and smoke it. It was that good! I savored every single puff.

kanaka95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 2, 2014
Blessed as i don't think in my lifetime i would have a chance at smoking something that old.Glad for ya.keep puffin on brothers.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I'd live to read your "in-session" review/remarks as your burning a bowl. I can only assume that it has mellowed and married quite nicely after all those years.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Very generous, Simon.
shaintiques, glad you enjoyed the BS. misterlowercase sent me a sample last year (I still have one bowl left) and it was an amazing smoke -- so smooth, yet fragrant and FULL of flavor. Definitely that's one tobacco that has earned its reputation.

Aug 14, 2012
It was great freshly packed in 1985 too. Mellow before ageing I have to wonder was it too mellow?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
What a rare privilege to bestow upon a fellow piper! Good goin' Condor! Very selfless, thoughtful gesture. :clap:

I'm happy to hear that it was all it's cracked-up to be.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
A very nice gesture. There's nothing like finding an old forgotten tin. I found an unopened tin of Macbaren's Mixture from 1977 in my parents basement that I forgot about. That was a special day and I too shared it with fellow pipers.

Something like that begs to be shared with others.

Well done, condor.

salmonfisher

Can't Leave
Feb 12, 2014
Go to the game, life is short and they are printing billions of money daily.
Curious what was paid for that tin in 1985. Wish I had of started stashing away some way back then.
Good salary then in Canada was around $30,000. Let's say that tin cost around $2 back then.

Good salary in Canada now is $65,000. Tin would now cost $18.00?
That is one hell of a return in 30 years. 10 tins stashed away cost $20 n could sell for $4,000
Ok, now I am really upset lol.

tlag77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
Salmonfisher, you just gave me a great retirement idea.....at least that's what I can tell my wife when I start buying my cellar tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.