PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY
What should gl pease gaslight smell like? I just opened my first tin of it and it smelled like latakia/musk. I cant see any mold but sure as heck smells of it. Also the tobacco is squshy like a sponge in its orginal plug form and not hard, is that normal?

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
It should small just like a pile of burning yard leaves. At least that what I think it smells like. :)

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Do you have a picture of what you mean by squishy like a sponge? It shouldn't be "wet", but the cake is certainly on the moist side out of the can, it does need some drying time.
Otherwise, the smells you mention are spot on. And seacaptain mentions yard leaves, that's probably fair as well. I often get a smell of Creosote, it has a strong, smoky smell, and can smell like a fresh-paved driveway made of asphalt. As gross as that sounds, it's actually wonderful. I love the stuff and cellar it very deep.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Get it drying, and when dry, cut some slices and see how it smells then. Probably okay.

jeffro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2017
A few months ago I had a tin of Gaslight that smelled just like asphalt. I tried to smoke a bit of it.

And it tasted very acrid.

I left the tin open for about four days and tried it again the acrid asphalt smell and tase subsided

and I was able to taste the Latakia Oriental Turkish tobacco.

Now that it has about seven months of jar aging it tastes even better and it has mellowed a bit from the first few times

I smoked it. :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Well, I can't say that's normal but it doesn't mean its bad either. Mine smells like a campfire or burning leaves like Seacaptain suggested. Mine is pretty firm, so not sure why yours feels like a sponge unless it's overly moist. Let it dry out for a bit and fire it up. If you get sick don't smoke it anymore. If you die, well you won't have to worry about smoking it anymore.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
It's been a while, but I seem to recall the smell being strong and doused fire smokey with some petrol type of note deep down.

jonas

Lurker
Apr 19, 2018
I just opened up a tin that’s been closed since 2015, smells pretty horrible to me. Quiet nights has a similar smell as well.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Snowhill nailed it. It's been awhile since I've had Gaslight,but it does smell a bit like gas. Hence, Gaslight!

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
Often there's no correlation to how it smells in the tin and how it smells when smoked or aged, or fresh-aired.
Tru dat!
But as a smoke, a dry Eng/Lat thingy.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I just opened up a tin that’s been closed since 2015, smells pretty horrible to me. Quiet nights has a similar smell as well.
You should smell a tin of Dunghill Nightcrap if you think those are bad. :)

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Out of the tin ? Delightful, rich, deep stout, a bit of a cigar smell to me.
The strange but pleasant odor? a scent of lighter fluid.
It took me a while to like this blend and I found the best preparation was to slice in into flakes (agaist the grain/layers) then leave it out a bit (15-20 minutes),then lighty rub it out and pack it loose. Puff slow, if you puff too fast it's becomes a latakia-bomber.
The cakes I have are moist but if squeezed there's just a tad of "give' to them. I wouldn't call it spongy at all.
The smoking experience? Deep, heavy and rich, some cocoa, coffee with a tad of menthol-ness to it. Not an every day smoke for me but a real nice smoke on occasion. I tasted some burley in there but it's not isted in the ingedients. It also seemed higher in nicotine than most of GLP blends. It reminded me a bit like UK's Warrior Plug. Great after taste too.
Fire some up.
sidenote: lol@ turd comment

mnewb1

Might Stick Around
May 9, 2018
Just tried this today for the first time...my technique preparing and packing leave much too be desired...smoked a large bowl for about an hour...excellent taste, really enjoyed it, but oh man did I get a nicotine surge when I finished that kicked my ass.
I’ll take a little more caution with preparation and smoking next time, but there will definitely be a next time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
davet, I think a high proportion of Latakia guarantees a displeased wife. Even wives who are tolerant of their guys smoking indoors don't like Latakia, mostly.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
One of my cigar smoking friends told me that the Latakia smelled "offensive". I'll be honest, I didn't get it the first time I smoked, definitely took sometime to enjoy.

cerfer

Might Stick Around
May 8, 2017
Creosote. Unsmokable, nasty creosote. But then I put it in a pipe and it's creamy, smoky, and incredibly different from anything else I've smoked. FWIW, I love it.
I had some Low Country Waccamaw that was green and nasty. I almost wretched at the smell. I should have asked for a replacement instead of throwing it out. Mold has a very unique smell and it takes over the entire tin. If it's not white, green, etc., it may not be mold, but just something you've never smelled before.
Post pics and everyone will have an opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.