PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
I'm not sure it would be a good idea to use the mini for sampling. Although it does smoke very nicely the size does affect the taste. I find the tobacco tastes differently than in my fullsize cob. But that could be other factors as well. At the price they go for you may as well just try it for yourself.
On a different note the mini is the first pipe I have with a clear stem. I was surprised to see how humidity actually condensed in the airhole as droplets. Now I can actually do some experiments to see how different factors affect the condensation of moisture in the airway and see the results with my own eyes!

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
My Kaywoodie and my Peterson are both small apple shapes and they are my favorite shape of all my pipes! Half full they get 20-30 minutes, full, they get about an hour. Perfect for me.

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
A little bump since I'm looking for a really small 10-15 minute kinda pipe. Even my smaller one, which is probably a size 4, takes me 20 minutes at least. Sure I can fill up half a bowl or smoke only half, but I've found that I just don't. I need something that can last me just the time for a cigarette (7-10 minutes) and I'm just not a big fan of cobs.
Any recommendations on any really small pipe you guys may have ?

briarbird

Can't Leave
Dec 7, 2011
Mick, I just recently made this little guy. It is about a ten minute smoker, and my official shop pipe since I can keep it in my mouth while I make pipes. The stem was not the most fun to make but this little guy is pretty great.
smai.jpg

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
I have a MM Pony that has a small bowl. I pipe nail tamper just makes it in and not all the way down. As cake builds it wont fit at all. It is both my sampler pipe and a great pipe for short smokes of 10 mins or so. I have also been smoking a small Kaywoodie (see my post " My first estate fix") and I just picked up a small 60's era Willard drinkless that I look forward to smoking as soon as I clean her up this week.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
I love my smaller pipes as I tend to putter about when I smoke, mostly in the garage. I also have a MM mini as well as a wellington that is about the same size and a yello bole these three seem to see more action than the rest.

majilton

Might Stick Around
Jan 18, 2012
Dont really have that many smaller pipes all seem to be avarage size but i do like the nose warmers a lot my next pipe i think

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Ooooohhhhh... that's a nice idea
$10 for a 3 pack at cupojoes... I wonder if this still qualifies as PAD or if I can get away with it ;-)
236.jpg

gripsie

Might Stick Around
Dec 10, 2010
Hamburg, Germany
I definately prefer small pipes in the sense that they are easy to handle and that you can easily hold them in your mouth. For me that means: 40g in weight (1.4oz I guess) maximum. And I like them to be short and robust.. You'll find pipes in this category with a smaller bowl capacity - I use these for VA flakes.. And sometimes there are small and lightweight pipes that have a pretty decent bowl size. I love them too and use them with mixtures - English ones mostly..
Bests, Eddy :)

dimm

Might Stick Around
Jan 7, 2012
Montréal, Canada
So I wanna do a little update on my mini. It has become a regular smoker and well in my rotation. As many people, though, I fins the short stem a little annoying. So I bought another mini andheres what I did:
imag0586r.jpg

I bought the reed stem from pipeshoppe.com for.something like 2$ and replaced the mini stem. Total cost comes up to 7$ for me!

heraclitian

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
I'm a big fan of small pipes. In fact, my largest personal pipe is a chubby billiard Dunhill group 4, and its size is already a bit ugly for me. IMHO, the small pipes look finer and and more gemütlich to hold in hand, and are more optimal for practical use.

Perhaps even more important: I don't like a pipe which is "bigger" than my look.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I watched a gentleman smoke a Size 2 Dunhill at the NYC pipe club a few weeks ago. It looked very elegant and perfect for the SG flake he was smoking. I agree with Lestrout, a small bowl is great for pipe clubs, etc. where you are trying different tobacco blends. My smallest at the moment is probably a Group 3, but I can see where having a 2 would be useful.

chuck71

Lurker
Mar 14, 2012
img_00202-600x450.jpg
This is a mini i bought from pipes and cigars it was $15. the pipe beside it is a billiard that is a full size pipe. the mini is great for at work as it takes about 15 minutes to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.