PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

frost

Might Stick Around
Feb 7, 2014
Colorado
I recently picked up this small bulldog as a freebie in an ebay lot auction. I've never really considered small pipes like this, but it is starting to grow on me. Tonight I enjoyed a bowl of Nightcap in it, which is a slow burner and provided a good 20 minute smoke. I'm thinking about dedicating this one to that blend- it's a nice pipe-tobacco combination for bedtime.
This pipe is marked "1/2 ounce" on one side and "Algerigan Briar Made in France" on the other.
image_zps6aa65fb5.jpg

Anyone else like small pipes?

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
I love small pipes. Pretty much all I smoke. Falcon Apple, Yello-bolle Centura, Peterson 317, Savinelli Petite 202, my Dunhill 463, my no-name Lovat, and my MM legend cob. All small pipes and all I smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My really small pipes are a Peterson Belgique Group 1 yacht and a EWA Group 2 Dublin. I was converted

by fishnbanjo and others on Forums. I thought small pipes were toys, souvenirs and novelties. They are

perfect for a short smoke, an appetizer or dessert smoke, or for very strong tobacco when you just want

a small dose. They are one of the lesser known pleasures with pipes, and I highly recommend them.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I've got a number of small pipes, 3 of which are REALLY small ... I like them and would get another if I were to find the right one ...

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Smaller pipes definitely have a place in the rotation. Tobacco flavors seem more intense in the small bowls. Here are my three midgets, an unknown maker, a Kaywoodie Colt and an old Yello-Bole:
smallpipes_zps40ed8a34.jpg

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Sweet pipes guys.
My main pipe is a featherweight. I smokes okay, but I really like 'cause it's just so practical; it fits nicely in a shirt pocket along with a pouch full of OTC.
I do have a concern though, it seems to heat up quite quickly, where as my Aran straight billiard 106 stays cool right through the bowl. I can see that butterfield and tuold have small pipes with somewhat thick chamber walls, but my little pipe has a rather thin wall.
Dot

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
I have a Savinelli Bent Bob that I absolutely just love. Have had it for about 10 years. The small bowls on these pipes offer about a 15-20 smoke. I occasionally take it to work so I can smoke it after lunch. I recently found another Bob on Ebay with a Pot style bowl but has the same rusticated look as the one I own. It also has a small bowl, should receive it this week....really like the short smokes sometimes. Here's my Bent Bob.
bent-bob-600x450.jpg

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
@moonman - Nice pipe. Looks comfortable to clench. I'd love to find a small bent dublin like that one.
I like small bowls because sometimes I'm not sure what I want to smoke. So I end up smoking many blends throughout the day. Also they are good for the same concept when your sampling blends. Sometimes my B&M has new blends for sampling and my small bowled pipes are perfect to bring. Cobs with small bowls are best when trying out new blends to minimize mixing flavors.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I smoke small pipes 90% of the time. That being said, I cam make a small bowl (1" x 0.7") last for a solid 45 minutes. No matter how small the pipe, I will never smoke for less than 30 min, or I am dumping out tobacco. But I do tent to smoke a lot of flakes, which tend to burn longer anyways.

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
@purplemotoman - I recently bidded on that exact shape by Trypis. How does it smoke?

irish

Lifer
Aug 12, 2011
Texas
I am definitly a small pipe guy. I have several small Kaywoodies I smoke on regular basis and I just picked up a Dunhill small billiard group size 1. I love it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been enjoying my little Tsuge blowfish - it's probably my smallest bowl (even smaller than the Pony Express cobs), and gives a nice 20-30 minute smoke. If I can work out a post-smoke routine for my workplace, I may start taking it in for a lunchtime lunting pipe...
6E2320D4-9BF4-4025-8441-DF995090C151_zpsb5fyd6sa.jpg

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Small pipes are great.
They're easy to carry, great for when you only have a short time to smoke (like on smoke-breaks, or when it's cold outside) and they don't take up as much space for storing.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I can't even imagine smoking Black Bogie, or Black XXX in anything but my little Peterson 317. The smoke is so thick you can chew it, and I can only imagine a big bowl of it would knock me over dead.

carytobacco

Can't Leave
Nov 23, 2012
Cary, NC
I just got into smoking small pipes as well. Savinelli used to have the Bent Bobs but they haven't been around for years. I picked up a Savinelli Roma 702 and I love it. It's perfect for car rides.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
I've said it before I am mainly a group 1-3 size smoker, I do have some in group 4 but those are for very special days when it's 70 F out with no breeze and I can sit and watch the world go by.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
I have a small Webster straight billiard that was only available in 1964 with Sir Walter Raleigh coupons. It is in pristine shape, so I really take great care of it.

moonman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2014
Two small bowl, lightweight rusticated Savinelli Bent Bobs. Good for quick smokes.
009-600x450.jpg

I've said this before... eh, nevermind, saying I can get an hour or more just sounds like bragging about how slow I can smoke, but... :wink:

These Savinelli Piumas are my all time favorites for flakes, VA, and VaPers. At .60" diameter, these are the smallest in my rotation, and I have 6 total of the Piumas, which have gotten very hard to find. I would buy 6 more in a heartbeat. I'm certain that smoking a wider diameter pipe doesn't really do anything more that waste tobacco, as your small blood vessels in your mouth aren't going to be able to absorb more nicotine.

piumas.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.