PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
Hey folks.. I like to carry a pipe(of course) while out in the woods or out shooting, and was wondering if you all can recommend some small and/or compact pipes.. something maybe less than 5 in. give or take ?? pics would be cool too.. :)
I already have a few MM corn cobs one of these Sav roley vest pocket pipes.. I also have a Bjarne on the way from Mike over at Briar Blues.. i think it's a hair short of 5 in.. was just wanting to know what else is out there :D

Edit: Corrected capitalization in title per Rule #9. L.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
You may want to check out the Big Ben RANGER series. Small compact pipes under four and half inches. They pop up on eBay occasionally and usually sell for around $60 or thereabouts. Here's a pic of one mine.
IMAG1832-1.jpg

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
thats a great looking pipe Kashmir.. That is a cool pic too.. I will have to look into them.. thanks..

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I have almost the exact same vest pocket pipe. I have yet to really smoke it, but it was just too neat to pass up when I found it for $5. How does it smoke for you?

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
Smokes okay.. I just can't seem to get used to it though.. the bowl is an odd shape..see's use here and there..

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
If money isn't an issue check out the chubbys on the neat pipes site. They are a sponsor site on here. I was the aerobilliard.

mp31guitar

Lifer
Jun 28, 2011
I just purchased a Devil Anse by Eric Paulson. Don't know how to post a pic with my phone. It's my favorite pipe right now. It's compact with a bowl that holds a good amount of tobacco. It's about four inches long.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
Thanks guys. all of them look great.. i really like the Eric Paulson pipe, but as RCSTAN stated, it is going to be a knockaround/beater style pipe, so don't want anything too expensive.. at the moment at least.. :D

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I suggest you pick a shape you like and then look for a basket pipe in that shape. Just be warned one of my kick around pipes turned into my favorite pipe and it lived in the bottom of my tackle box. Fast forward a few years and I ended up selling my boat and had left the tackle box in the boat. Long story short I lost the pipe. Not a financial loss for sure but a loss non the less.

crazypipe

Lifer
Sep 23, 2012
Here is a great site for small pipes, I have 3 of his pipes and they are great smokers.

http://uniquebriar.com/catalog/index.php

onepyrotec

Lifer
Feb 20, 2013
Nevada
I just cleaned & polished several pipes today. Of which, there were some pocket pipes. One was real similar to your Roley, mine is a Rolex, the next is a LHS folder with wind screen, the other is a short Yello-Bowl.

aikatal

Might Stick Around
Apr 10, 2013
Maybe a Savinelli Piuma? They're compact and generally sell for under $40. I've never owned a Piuma, but would expect them to be decent pipes.

mtnfolkmike

Might Stick Around
Oct 27, 2013
right on guys.. thanks for all the suggestions.. I appreciate it.. Now we'll have to see if the misses will score me one of these for X-Mas.. highly unlikely..

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
This Yashtylov is on my wish list. Seems like a stout nosewarmer from the profile but when viewed from the top or front its very slender.

618b.jpg

618e.jpg

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I have a little Tsuge bent bulldog that's about 5 inches. Nice little pipe. Smokes well

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Chacom makes a line of pipes call Punch that are short but with ample bowls. Big Ben, the Dutch pipe maker, also

has a line of pocket pipes. Nording has a line of compacts that are sold under his Eriksen line. And last but not least,

Benton in USA sells a line of compact pipes through Iwan Ries Exclusives, as their house pipes, that include several

high quality but extremely reasonably priced compact pipes. The N.C. pipe carver Jerry Perry makes some elegantly

simple small pipes; I have a bent billiard in honey brown with an orange stem (not loud) that I was proud to smoke

at Nat Sherman's on Manhattan. I believe the staff could see I didn't get that one at the drugstore.

Status
Not open for further replies.