PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Is there a plug anywhere, made by anyone, that loves the knife so well as Gaslight?
Seriously, slicing flakes of this plug with a fine sharp knife is one of favorite parts of smoking this, one of my favorite tobaccos these days.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just took delivery of a plug of Gaslight. I guess I'd better break out the whetstone, which is long overdue.

n240sxguy

Lurker
Sep 21, 2014
I bought a MM at Walgreens today just so I could try that blend again. It's been 9-10 months since I touched it since I didn't have a pipe I wanted to dedicate to it.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
That's hilarious; I'm exactly the same way - it's not only possibly my all-time favorite tobacco, preparing it adds to the joy of smoking it, and anytime you have to use one of your knives, it's a good thing. Fred sparrowhawk just sent me 8oz of Gaslight (and 8oz of Abingdon), so a big thank you to him for that.
Fred needed a tobacco knife, so I sent him mine, a Victorinox Swiss Army knife, so now use whatever pocket knife I have in my pocket. Definitely adds to the fun.
What knife do you use? My main pocket knives are all Cold Steel Voyagers in VG-1, either a 3" tanto, or 4" tanto or clip point.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
I was given a new knife in a christmas gift, so I am looking forward to trying gaslight now. I will have to get some.

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
I saw that knife, tarheel, really nice one. Thanks to your SS :)
Here's a pic. Don't let the image deceive you, the bars are teeny, 1"x1"x2" and are each 1oz. GLP says not to pack it too tightly, or it won't stay lit.
gaslight400b_zps825e5244.jpg

Oh, and GLP also says, "I like to slice it fairly thin, crumble it slightly, and drop it in. Remember to slice across the layers, not with them, and please, don't just break it up, or tear off sheets. You won't be getting the blend if you do."

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Guys, I'd appreciate some advice here.
I enjoy Gaslight very much but I haven't mastered the slice and dice yet. (I try to keep my knives sharp - like an unloaded personal defense weapon - a dull knife is damned dangerous.) Still, I end up with a few flakes almost the size of my smallest fingernail.
Any tips?
Thanks!
Fnord

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I bought some Gaslight with the past order, but I still have yet to light it up. I have been messing around with other 1oz blends to see if I'd like them. A couple I wont purchase more of, but most will see a bulk order. I will try and get a pipe of Gaslight lit in the next couple days.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Gaslight seems to be a rather loose plug and breaks apart when slicing. So, I gave up on that and with my last tin I simply broke the whole damn plug apart and rubbed it out. Now when I want a bowl I simply reach in the jar and I’m ready to go. To hell with the tedious prep work. :wink:

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@fnord: The Pease man does not dice at all, only slices it 'fairly thin', crumbles slightly and drops it in.

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
I have been acquiring a fair number of different plugs and kakes lately and have recently purchased an antique plug tobacco slicer on EBay. I am a self-confessed gadget geek and I had fun disassembling, cleaning it and sharpening its blade. So far, I find it works very well for both plugs and hard pressed kakes like SPC Plum Pudding or Askwith Kake from GQTobaccos. JackKnife Plug didn't seem pressed as firmly so it crumbled a bit on the cut - no matter, still tasty stuff. The SG plugs and Peterson PPP shaved like a dream and the slices were a thing of beauty.

werebear

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2014
IMHO, Gaslight kept trying to break up as I cut it ( maybe my knife wasn't sharp enough), but it was definitely well worth it!! That stuff is yummy!

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
The tin I'm just about to finish off broke up pretty easy. I've been able to pretty much just peel slices off and then break them up, rub out, and enjoy. The first time I tried to cut some up it just crumbled so easily I never went back to the knife. For me its just easier to pull some off and crumble up.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
If you were pulling off the layers, then you weren't smoking the blend. From what I have heard, you have to slice "into" the layer, across the grain.
That would be like eating a pumpkin pie. Scraping off the whipped cream and eating it, then scraping off the top layer of pie, with some cream flavor, then eating the moist center, then eating the graham cracker crust. The pie was designed to be eaten by the slice, not by the layer.
The same with cake tobacco. I am sure the layers were good on their own, but the blend was absent. If the cake crumble easily, the best alternative would have been to crumble it all and rubbed it out, mixing the tobacco together so that when you fill the pipe, you have all of the layers present.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I got one of those P&C promotional Rockwell knives that does a great job with Gaslight. It works well too with the Euro- and Brit-plugs, some of which are harder than hockey pucks. That knife has good stability, which Xacto knives, box cutters and small pocket knives don't. Had the Rockwell not come along, I was going to get one of those Alaskan Inuit Ulu thingies. Those little blades I was using threatened to take a slice of my finger off.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.