PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hearth and Home's Midtown tobacco Chestnut, a match to the discontinued Walnut, blended by Russ O., has six tobaccos well harmonized, the only non-aromatic in the series, with the required hint of Lat.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
If you like more subtle latakia levels, you might enjoy Gawith, Hoggarth & Co's Scotch Mixture and John Bull Royal English.
Although TR's page on GH&Co's Scotch Mixture states that it's "the most popular latakia blend in Europe", it only has 23 reviews...
John Bull is a pouch tobacco that is inexpensive and nicely balanced.
Woodsroad, that John Cotton's #1 is the one that sucked me in to the pipe world a year ago. I need to go back and try it again to see how my interpretation has changed.
A wild card for you is Seattle Pipe Club's Potlatch. Kind of a kitchen sink blend, but can be "English-like". Cigars International still has 8 ounce cans on clearance for a ridiculous price. Also only 24 reviews.
jay-roger.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
For those who are curious re: youtube...Senor Wencez (sp). Very funny guy who uses his hand as the puppet.

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
@seacaptain .. He’s referencing the “butter” digression discussion above.
This:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ui4vPDEVQIo.
:D

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Initial reference point for me:
Dan Tobacco - London blend 1000 (what process / wood makes an africa virginia leaf?)

Nat Sherman - 536

Kramer’s Pipe Tobacco Shop - Father Dempsey

Seattle Pipe Club - Potlatch (this has been on the list of “to-try” blends for awhile)

Low Country Pipe & Cigar - Cooper

Hermit Tobacco Works Co. - Captain Earle’s - Stimulus Package

Standard Tobacco Company of Pennsylvania - John Cotton’s Number 1

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I don't know if I missed seeing it mentioned or not, but I've been a fan of C&D's Black Duck.

Doesn't seem to have a lot of fans, but to me it is a little different than other English blends I've smoked, although, I've probably only smoked about 15 different English blends, so there is always something new to try!

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
^^^
It sounds tasty. I did find some info on African Virginia tobacco via Universal Corporation’s website (below). The term seems too broad, but I assume the blender did this to avoid giving away proprietary info (?)
http://www.universalcorp.com/Africa
I did notice in the reviews that there seemed to be a period of time where they didn’t get good leaf (~2005|ish, +/- 2 yrs), but posts 2010+ seem to be very positive

spartan99

Can't Leave
Mar 10, 2017
Cornell & Diehl: Stratfordshire

John Cotton's: Numbers 1 & 2

Cornell & Diehl: Crooked Lane

kickinbears

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2018
Seems be a lot of love for “Std. Tobacco of PA” tobaccos. The ones recommended here (Smyrna, 1, 1&2) all sound good.

Status
Not open for further replies.