Sizes & shapes . What are the differences ?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxsmoke

Might Stick Around
Jan 30, 2019
Relatively new to smoking a pipe but as many of you can attest to, acquiring pipes can become quite addictive in its own right lol . I do have a few pipes that were purchased for no other reason than the fact that I liked how they looked. Now I have heard it mentioned that “ you don’t choose the pipe , the pipe chooses you” . I definitely get that as my humble collection can attest to .
Aside from the looks , does the shape and size ( aside from the obvious of holding more tobacco) effect the smoke / flavour of the event ?

How does the experience change from one pipe to the next ?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Outside shape is purely aesthetic. Some find shape and size of the chamber to affect the smoke, others do not.

Jan 8, 2013
I definitely notice a difference in flavors in a wider chamber. But I certainly discern no real difference in pipes with the same chamber size but different shape and size of bowl.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I find the bowl shape affects the taste. I like smaller, narrower bowls for flake, particularly VA Flake. I like tapered bowls for Virginia. I like large ID bowls for more complex blends which is often the case for English/Balkan blends. Taste is clearly subjective so the answer to this question is subjective.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Max, you will find that much in pipe smoking is subjective and individual. Pipe shape is one such thing. I'm not sure my palette is trained enough to detect differences in flavour depending on the bowl shape.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So as to avoid confusion to the OP, "bowl" tends to mean the outside of the pipe surrounding the tobacco chamber, and "chamber" is where you place and burn your tobacco.
parts-of-a-smoking-pipe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.