PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Its not inhaling, just sort of savoring the smoke, maybe the top of the throat, the gullet, for lack of a better word.
It's capillary pressure!
Seal one end of a tube, and the fluids (including smoke) naturally leak toward that end.
This enables you to enjoy flavor/Nicotine without having to be the Big Bad Wolf and huff and puff.
Then again, when you want to get that pipe fired up... puffing is needed.
But only briefly.
It's sort of like killing your enemies: there's one moment of three shots, two to the heart and one to the head, and then a long time of baking the corpse in a kiln until it is nothing more than fine white ash.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
Although our descriptions vary from the brief (me) to the sadistic (deathmetal), lol, it is good to see that so many of use are right there in the same spot. Nice slow sips and puffs to keep her going. This forum really is a great place.

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
Always smoke outside, so never perfect control of conditions, and frankly I enjoy the texture of a good puff regardless of how that may lessen the subtleties of taste.

It's all about balance and personal taste.

Ultimately I'm satisfying an appetite - I like my beer warm and don't care to sip that either.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Go to a pipe show and you will see lots of them, quietly sitting, still, watching the action around them, the only sign of life being the occasional curl of smoke that they emit.
Lol. Sounds like a real lively bunch!
Well, it IS called smoking. Smoke is required... I like the smoke. I don't like a hot pipe, but smoke is the purpose to me.

Cheers to that!

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
If you want that fine white ash, smoke outside with a moderate breeze.
I enjoy sipping. For me, it delivers the right amount of everything.
Then again, I avoid the sugar blends.
For some, puffing may work better. I have a feeling that it has to do with the rhythm of breathing.

I only ever recommend breathsmoking or for someone to slow down when they are asking for advice on a problem, where the adivice might “help”the smoker. If someone doesn’t have a problem, then they are doing it right. There’s no Bible that was handed down from the Nicotine Goddess on how we all have to smoke. It’s not that dogmatic. Smoke ‘em wet, some ‘em fast, put the stem in your nose, if that’s how you get the most joy from your pipe, ha ha.

I always forget to add (as DM mentions) that I have to puff to get the pipe going, but I guess I just thought it was obvious. And sure, if my pipe starts to die down, I’ll puff a little. And, sometimes with a cigar based Latakia, like Spectre, I enjoy an extra puff. Cigar leaf is a heavier more oily smoke that hovers in the air more, and makes puffing more fun and enjoyable. So... just do what gives you the most pleasure. All I’ve ever tried to do was answer a plea for help.

I love both the cigars and the tobacco. It’s a very balanced blend, much more so than Billy Budd, IMO. The Latakia and cigar make for a chewy Smokey smoke. A fat pipe on a snowy afternoon with either the cigar or the pipe tobacco is a great way to waste away a few hours. The cigar has some strength to it as well. But, the stodgy and the tobacco are different, different in ways you’d expect. Billy Budd can be kind of harsh, IMO.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
hawky454:
It’s all about what works best for you!
True. As a practicing nihilist, I deny the difference between subjectivity and objectivity by reducing them to a single concept, which is objectivity with recognition of relativity through both the experience of the user and the physical differences between human beings. I also deny the existence of (universal) truth, (universal) values and (universal) communication, but I do not claim that to be true.
Going to a more practical note, people have different mouths and different abilities to draw. Some have big old mouths and lips that they can just clamp around a stem and immediately have good draw, which tends to cycle with their breathing. Others may need to throw some effort into it. As Cosmic noted, the technique is not consistent... you will puff to get the pipe going, or puff sometimes as part of your rhythm, or to keep the coal lit. It's one of those things that just has to be experienced :)

Status
Not open for further replies.