PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I've been a silver member for quite sometime and afraid my cellar will be long complete before the mythical gold status would arrive.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
When I got my best designation I didn't find the pipes discounted worth the money. Doesn't cost them anything to give me designation. They're playing cat and mouse with the rules to get more money. It's transparent.
I agree. I achieved silver status purely through buying tobacco. I haven't seen any benefit to the status to date but I'll also keep buying from them regardless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My search engine won't open SP these days, but I commend them for their great pipe sales. Bought a new Ser Jacopo blast Dublin on sale with them, at a price I'll never see again, and enjoy it greatly.

Dec 24, 2012
but what does it take to get to Gold?? Anybody know? Maybe buy a Doctor Pipe, or a Grechukhin?
Congrats. I have the Gold, but I am not sure what the thresholds were to get there. I have bought a Doctor and a Grechukin or two there though, so now you have me wondering, lol.
If not five years pretty close. Is there a way to tell or find out?
Yes, check your badges. You will have an "Old Friend" badge if you have done business for more than 5 years. There may be a different one at 10 years, but I haven't reached 10 years yet.
Ei5etSk.png

Dec 24, 2012
By the way, the only benefit of Gold status is that you get advance notice of the availability of all grape-flavoured tobacco. I have been stocking up on Captain Bob's Blend and Captain Black Grape like a rat hitting the feeding button.

Dec 24, 2012
Forgot about the VIP Rust status. That comes after Gold. I have only heard about it but was not aware someone had actually hit that level. Woodsroad, you must be proud. What are the perks?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, Smaug is my role model.
My old friend badge says I have done business with them for over 5 years. My order history only goes back to 2012. I have been doing business with them far longer than that.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
someone dug into this awhile ago I think and the answer was that Silver was something like ~$2k spent in a year, and it expires after the year is up. I believe someone had called and asked what the threshold was for gold and the answer was essentially "lol, if you have to ask..."

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Actually I think I must be wrong about that, looking at my recent orders with them I've not ordered all that much this year and I'm still silver.
I have been doing business more than 10 years though.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
what the threshold was for gold and the answer was essentially "lol, if you have to ask..."

To get Gold you have to attend the annual secret society dungeon party and know the secret handshake. 8)
I am proud of my Gold status as a UPS Freeloader.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Pity they're not real Dunhills any more. They need to occasionally offer good pipes at 15% off.
I've been meaning to ask someone at SP if I can have that 15% discount for Dunhills transferred somehow, cause I'm only collecting Petersons and American artisans, so a discount on Dunhill pipes isn't really a perk for me.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
2K sounds about right....a little embarrassed, but since this is for my future, and it'll never be cheaper, I can justify.
And I'm done buying for a while, so we'll see if my silver status sticks for a while or if I get demoted after a year.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Forgot about the VIP Rust status. That comes after Gold. I have only heard about it but was not aware someone had actually hit that level. Woodsroad, you must be proud. What are the perks?
Officially, it's called the Iron Oxide level, but for the layperson, we just say "rust". Easier for them to understand.
The perks? None really, just everything that I'm entitled to, like cruises on the Smokingpipes yacht, substantial discounts on the Presidential Suite of the Hotel Du SmokingPipes in Paris, and of course summers at the SmokingPipes Lodge with the family:
38968-wmu.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.