PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I'm on the fence here.
One of my coworkers has a Sig Sauer P226 for sale. Less than 1K rounds pushed through it and he's chucking in a holster, three high capacity mags and 300 rds. of dirty Russian 9mm.
The asking price is $550.00.
I'm really intrigued by the Sig Sauer reputation but I've always been happy with the S&W Model 659 I've owned for almost thirty years.
Of course, insult loves injury, right? Last night my Canadian crack dealer offered me first rights of refusal on a lot of drop dead gorgeous Blatter pipes - still one of the best kept secrets in the pipe smoking world - and today I found out about an upcoming auction of BSA (Scouts not motorcycles) collectibles that would fill multiple holes in my collection dating back to the 1930's.
So, yeah, I'm dithering right now. Any Sig Sauer people care to weigh in?
Fnord

murica

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2017
Ehh. I have carried and owned quite a few. I use to really enjoy shooting the various Sig models, but my shooting adjusted and the guns just didn't do it for me anymore. But the price is a decent price.
Is this for an EDC or just to have? That would be the first question.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
That is a great firearm but not ideal for concealed carry a bit thick and heavy, that was my issued firearm when I was in plain clothes, hated it, but the performance and reliability is un matched. Personaly Im a Glock .40cal kind of guy so Id go with the Blatter pipes

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The Sig 226 is a great handgun with superb engineering. I used to own one, and probably never should have sold it. That being said, I agree with Pagan- it is too big and heavy for a 9mm. I don't mind 9mm as a round, and in fact still a 9mm. I think that 9mm platforms are better served by a more svelte design, though, such as a CZ or Browning Hi-Power. So, my advice is to pass on the P-226 and buy the pipes.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
I've owned one for almost 30 years and though I love it, I have to agree with what has been said above. It is really a 9mm built on a .45 frame. The price is fantastic, though, and Sigs are great shooters.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Personaly Im a Glock .40cal kind of guy so Id go with the Blatter pipes
So, my advice is to pass on the P-226 and buy the pipes.
Listen to Pagan and aldecaker. They are wise.
-- Pat
PS - Inbound Blatter listings heading to the Buy & Sell this weekend.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I swear to f'ing god.... you sell a bunch of stolen guns to a cult and suddenly you're a "felon" and never allowed to own a gun again. What a bunch of crap.

cabinfever

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2016
As someone that owns numerous firearms, and as a former Eagle Scout, I am more interested in your BSA collection. What do you collect?

akfilm

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2016
Do you already have a pistol, esp, for EDC? If not, buy the gun. It's a proven frame. If you have some other guns, don't give up the chance to fill your pipe collection with something you've been chasing. My two cents.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Nice firearm, used one for training while doing ______ for the _______. And I do prefer firearms with hammers on them,personal thing. I would go for it, sounds like a good deal.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Not for EDC, Murica and AKfilm. I just admire the Sig Sauer product line and wanted to add one to the stable.
Cabin, I collect the Original 12 Regions, several OA lodges in Kansas and Missouri plus National Jamboree items going all the way back to the one that never was.
I already have four Blatters and so many other great pipes that rarely get fired up, but Patty has always been the devil in my ear.
So it goes.
Fnord

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I am a huge fan of Sig's. Great shooters. If you have a hole in your arsenal, that price is great for a Sig. If you have to register it (of course you do... unless you don't) then that drops the appeal.
To be honest, if the BSA stuff coming your way is super rare... I would go that way. Sigs and Pipes will always be around.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
To revisit my earlier comments, I do think the Sig 226 and 229 are excellent firearms, not ideal for EDC, if you need/want a great shooting pistol, a night stand gun or a truck gun then go for it, if you'r looking for a CCW then shop around, guess that was my point
If your like me you don't NEED more pipes or guns, but with a decision like that Im glad Im not you :rofl:

loomongous

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2015
Colorado
I have owned many SIGs. They are excellent weapons, and the price you have been offered is good. But collectables would be my choice. P226s are common compared to Blatter pipes. The scouting stuff may be even scarcer. At the end of the day, all of my modern pistols are tools and easily replaced or purchased when the budget or mood strikes me. Rarities and collectables are more of a right place at the right time purchase.

gmjabsky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 3, 2015
DA/SA triggers drive me nuts...maybe just too used to bullseye pistols. P226 is great after I miss with my first round.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I agree. Except for almost any Glock, I shoot revolvers must more accurately .
So....I'd go Glock. No extraneous safeties. It's plug and play.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Likewise here. I transitioned to Glock years ago and now the Sigs only come out for fun range days. I always missed on the first shot with DA/SA too!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Hope you folks won't mind a bit of a thread-jack. My p226 stayed with me the longest after leaving the service. Don't own any now, not a gun guy by any stretch and am pretty far out of the loop. Work is requiring me to conceal carry for a travel assignment next month. Thinking about a p238 and figured you folks may have come across it in your travels.

Status
Not open for further replies.