Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Agreed on those points and date. What an incredible find! 100 years old, and looks like it was made recently.
All Sasieni's had "London Made", under the name. They just didn't leave enough room for the full nomenclature stamp.
If you look very closely you can see (MADE IN ENGLAND) or rather the top half of it under the LONDON MADE, its faint but its there.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
After researching my pipe a bit more, I am now uncertain of it's age. There seems to be some debate as to how long the one-dot was used... The thing that confuses me is the lack of patent no. and the "MADE IN ENGLAND" is straight, not oval. Perhaps they could not fit the oval in such a tight space? Any help pinning the age range down would be greatly appreciated. Here are a couple more pics:

View attachment 264856
View attachment 264857

The shape number and stinger seem to match the ones depicted in this old advertisement on Pipedia (https://pipedia.org/images/4/4b/SasieniShapes.jpg):

View attachment 264861
I'm looking at the Rustic stamp and the lack of a "town name" and that indicates to me that it's no later than 1923. Might be as early as 1919 or 1920 as some of the really early pipes lack a patent stamp.

Nice find, be careful with it, it looks like it may have the beginnings of a split at the end of the shank at about 8:30.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm looking at the Rustic stamp and the lack of a "town name" and that indicates to me that it's no later than 1923. Might be as early as 1919 or 1920 as some of the really early pipes lack a patent stamp.

Nice find, be careful with it, it looks like it may have the beginnings of a split at the end of the shank at about 8:30.
As an addendum to my post, my 1924 Sasieni Catalog uses Town Names for their pipes. @jguss did some further research, finding advertisements dating to late 1923 that used Town Names. While nothing is 100%, this does influence my dating.
On a broader note, Sasieni's use of Town Names dates back to late 1923, not 1928, nor 1935, as has been written in other articles. It's always cool when the pipe manufacturers' literature reveals facts to replace speculation.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Nicely spotted.
Don’t dissemble and reassemble it too frequently
Or look at getting it banded

A hundred year old estate Loewe of mine developed a split along almost the entire shank when I smoked it for the 1st time :cry:
Luckily it has a silver band, so all good (for now)

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA

Thanks so much for your thoughts and information! Really appreciate everyone that chimed in regarding my pipe.

I'm happy to report that what looks like a split on the shank's end is just graphite from a pencil and it wiped off clean.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
This has been very informative, especially the naming dating back to late ‘23. You guys are fountain of knowledge and thank you to everyone that put in the work find these gems of info.

My first Sasieni was a gift from a good friend, a Four Dot Amesbury that I now know dates from between 1923 to the mid war years. The nomenclature is a little faded but this pipe put me upon a Sasieni quest. image.jpg

My second was a Eight Dot Straight Grain in the Bowler shape, I’m not sure when the Straight Grain pipes were introduced but this has the fishtail script and is in remarkable condition. Amazingly I found this for sale in here in the UK so it must have been brought over from the US at some point. It has Straight Grain on the right, and the usual stamping on the left of the shank.
image.jpg
My most recent purchase arrived just a couple of days ago. A pre-patent One Dot, Fishtail logo, shape No 30. It has London Made under the signature but no other markings which lead me to believe it’s from 1919-23/4. If anyone has any further information or corrections I’d much appreciate it. image.jpgimage.jpg

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
I also have a couple of seconds coming from the US that a friend purchased for me including a Fantail. I’ve fallen down the Sasieni rabbit hole and I don’t think I’m getting out. I’ll post the others when they arrive.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Don't forget this one.

p1060669-jpg.248647

p1060675-jpg.248649