PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Mission,
I'm pretty new back into piping. I started 35 years ago this past weekend, on my 19th birthday when in the Navy.
Over the ensuing decades, I mostly smoked cigars and occasionally a pipe 3 or 4 times a year.
This past October, 2016, I was up in the mancave to have a cigar late one night and realized that all I had left in my humidor were my Cubans. I had a poker game there a few nights before and cleaned em out. I didn't want to smoke my cubans, I save them for special occasions, so I pulled down my only pipe, a 1987 Nording Freehand Signature, and my only pouch of tobacco, Borkum Riff, that I kept in my humidor.
As was usually the case, I started getting a bit of tongue bite about half way through the bowl. So I decided to look up what caused this and a few hours later I was completely enthralled by all of information out there and the thousands of pipes and tobaccos available.
I particularly enjoyed the different youtube pipe community videos on pipe making and especially restoring/refurbing estate pipes.
I then started poking around on ebay and before I knew it I had half a dozen estate pipes on their way.
I made a trip the next day to Dollar Tree and Hobby lobby and stocked up on all manner of cleaning supplies, sand paper, micro mesh, etc...
A month later I had picked up a variable speed benchtop polisher and mounted it to my ol black & decker workmate bench.
I think I'm up to 50 or 60 pipes now, including a Luciano that I won at the pipe show and a couple of gifts, with 10 or 15 in a box waiting for their turn at being refurbed.
The tobacco is kind of the same story. I started out buying different samples and then picking up tins and bags of the ones I liked. I've also been the recipient of many generous pipers that have sent me different blends to try.
I know that was a long way of answering your question. So, I guess it's been 8 or 9 months. :)

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
2016 2 Cousins rack my Son gave me.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Call me Mr Nosey but what cha got hidden in the 4 box's next to the cabinet. An lets see a close up of the GBD box. :lol: I knew Dutch had one he outbid me on it. When did you sneak yours in?

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@scrooge.
That my friend, is what PAD looks like. Those boxes are full of pipes too. One is full of LHS. One is full of English briars and the others are a variety of makers.

Good eye. The GBD display case has a couple that I got from you. That's where my Pedigree's reside. I thought I showed you that display case when I got it? I'll take some close ups and let you see it. (About 4ft to the right is where your diamonds in the rough are being worked on.)

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW!! Hold on a second, Had to put my sunglasses on to look at that pictures. Shinny an great lot. Did you ever smoke the vest pipe? Smoke good or not?

May 4, 2015
Since I HAD to buy a bigger TV and that TV didn't fit in the entertainment center, I got to repurpose it! Still deciding how I want to arrange display things, but it's nice to be able to see everything without having to dig through drawers and jars.
20170731_190347.jpg

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Note to self: After seeing Dave's "Box O Pipes" I've definitely got to clean up and polish all of my briars.
Pipesmokington... As you coulda probably guessed, I'm a big fan or re-purposed tv cabinets. 8)

May 4, 2015
As you coulda probably guessed, I'm a big fan or re-purposed tv cabinets.
Yup! Yours is a BIT grander than mine, though haha. You got a smoking deal on that setup though, right? Like $100?!
I'm saddened that your thread with all the photos has been neutered by Photobucket.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
smokington,
I was able to re-post most of the pictures @ the bottom of that thread, via imgur.com
Still hatin on photobucket though :)

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Can't recall if I've posted in this thread in the past or not, but here is a recent pic with my new tobacco cabinet a got a few months back. I've added a couple pipes and tobacco's since these pictures, but you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.