PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Someone recently asked for a shot of my GBD collection. I had not yet assembled them in one photo. Here they are, collected over the past two years. All are restored estates (Black Prehistoric Billiard was unsmoked). With one red-headed stepchild, a recent Digby in the mix.
A couple of 9438's, three persex stemmed pipes, two Prehistorics, two Tapestry and one Fantasy finish pipes. Two Seventy-Six pipes (one Colossus from member Weezel).
Show me yours!

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I only have one and it is in bad shape. Its a Concorde 780. I am going to do a restoration on it next week. Its rusticated. I have never restored a rusticated pipe so i have some research to do. I'll post next week.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Rusticated pipes are fairly easy, no dents to pull, etc. Check out some of the Reborn Pipes blog, plenty of rusticated restorations in there. (see my #357 Prehistoric Prince)

http://rebornpipes.wordpress.com/

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
Glad you posted them together. It always makes for a good thread. I don't have any GBDs but now I want to try one.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
Al, I think you had a pic of the 2 pipes in the middle of the rack, with the logo on the stem...are those the same shape?? what are they called?
Thanks!
I have one GBD, a pinner giant...I'll post a pic tonight at work!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great collection Al, thanks for sharing it with us. Here is my one GBD, it is a Virgin Conquest. I had a replacement stem put on because the original is pretty dirty, I kept it and will try and clean it one day. Mine is a large group 5 or small 6.

DSC01841.jpg

DSC01839.jpg

DSC01840.jpg

DSC01842.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, a Virgin Conquest, nice one! Cleaning really dirty Perspex stems is tricky. The stem on my Oom-Paul Colossus was pretty stained and cracked, but I think it gives the pipe some character and patina.
Al, I think you had a pic of the 2 pipes in the middle of the rack, with the logo on the stem...are those the same shape?? what are they called?
sjpipesmoker: Those are 9438's in Tapestry finish. I actually have three of the same pipe. Two are wonderful, the 3rd, has a broken button that I'll try to repair. The really dark 9438 is in Fantasy finish.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Al, I really know nothing about the GBD's is a Virgin Conquest considered a relatively higher grade within their line or is it a lower grade? What is a the best way to clean those stems? I did grain alcohol and my usual on it when I got it but it still looked nasty so I got the new one. There was something about putting the nasty one in my mouth that skeeved me out. It was probably clean but it doesn't look like it. Do these stain so badly that they will always look nasty but are really clean?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Virgin grade GBD's are pretty close to the top.

In acending order:

Pedigree

Pedigree I

Pedigree II

Straight Grain

Prodigy

Bronze Velvet

Virgin

Varichrome

Prestige

Jubilee

New Era

Prehistoric

International

Universe

Speciale Standard

Ebony

Tapestry

New Standard

Granitan

Sauvage
You can use an alcohol soaked bristle cleaner, but don't leave it in there too long and than run a cleaner dipped in water thru it. The alcohol will fog the stem if left in too long (although I think a clean, fogged stem line looks better than a stained one...).

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
That is indeed good info Al. Mine in the pic above is a Speciale Standard. I really like it though. It is a good pipe to take along on walks.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Here's another pic of my Speciale Standard paired with a Smokin Dragon tamper. To me it kinda looks like they were made for each other.
C5F22446-183B-42A4-BD93-C46834395BDA-4057-000003BFCDC20EF1.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cool tankard! You are right, that tamper matches it nicely.
Shaintiques Zulu is also pretty nifty, I love that shape. In fact, both of those shapes are missing from my rack, must check Ebay.......

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My wife gently reminded me this evening that I said I wasn't going to buy any more pipes this year (did I really say that?) so I passed on this GBD Seventy-Six that went for a measly $16 on Ebay this evening. I really am out of rack spaces and I don't much care for straight pipes.........but shoot, it was a Seventy-Six and I've learned they seem to have a really nice grain. I hope someone here grabbed it, looks like an easy restoration.
$(KGrHqFHJB8F!h3liKG,BQTOW96ddg~~60_12.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.