PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
What do you guys think about this one? It appears to have a larger outer diameter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pipe-Mimmo-Provenzano-12-A6MP201-GRADE-B-Smooth-Zulu-Briar-Handmade-/302024540510

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Weber 14K compliments of my buddy Dave G.

ROBFPn6.jpg

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Weber Smoothebrook

inLnP8n.jpg

Love that stem lightmybriar!!
@pagan If you ever think about given up that woodie cased meer give me a yell. Cash or trade.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I saw this thread brought back, and remembered that about a month ago I bought a nice Edward's Zulu. I thought it was interesting that it had mild saddle stem on it. Wasn't very familiar with this pipe brand, but it's a nice smoker and has no fills.

img_12831-600x360.jpg

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Nice pipes! These fall into the area of shapes I like but will probably never own myself. They just don't feel comfortable in hand to me. I like them though.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'll have to add the zulu/yachtsman to the Ivarsson Blowfish as shapes that have stolen my heart this week. So that makes two shapes that I'd love to acquire, though I'm retired.
Am I correct in saying that zulus make up most of the photos above? That the yachtsman's bowl is not as high in some way making the pipe look like a zulu/pot, so bluegrassbrian's Dunhill is a zulu while simong's, though he calls it a zulu, is a yachtsman? I'd just did 15 minutes looking at definitions for the two without finding anything definitive.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
A zulu has a forward canted, cylindrical shaped chamber like a billiard, and a yachtsman has a vertical conical shaped chamber like a dublin. The shape of the yachtsman looks forward swept, but there is no cant to the chamber. Simong's is indeed a zulu. Here are the yachts.
img_20171214_003327.jpg

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
So almost every pipe above is canted, thus a zulu.

The pipe I thought might be a yachtsman, an example of which is, again, simong's st. claude, because of its more squat profile, is not.

Your Rattray's Marlin might be? If not, is there a yachtsman in the thread?

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
The Marlin is an oddity, it's more of a Dublin but the curve and cylindrical chamber make me question it. Ant224's Castello looks quite yachtsman to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Great collection guys. I have one Zulu a Rad Davis. Even though it smokes incredibly well, I have bought no other Zulu's. I am not a fan of the forward cant as it makes lighting without burning the rim a tad tricky, much too tricky for my sorry ass.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
That's why I like the yachtsman design so well. The pipe has a forward swept design without an actual forward cant making it far easier to light.

Status
Not open for further replies.