PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have the same Chacom blast zulu that fearsclave posted, great little flake/coin/plug pipe. Enough bowl but very light weight.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Some real lookers on this thread gents. Pagans & fearsclaves in particular.

Here's my collection of much loved & used Zulus. A charatan grosvenor, John brumfit, Pete Donegal, & a Parker jockey club.

cersono

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2016
Vallis Lacrimarum
Zulu is my favourite shape. I rarely smoke other pipes from my collection. Here's my Zulu garden: Peterson Aran, Irish Seconds, three Parkers 42 (best and most often used of all), two Comoy's Woodstock (remember that recent eBay giveaway for $30?), Kiko Tanganyika, Hardcastle's Regency and Golden Gate.

Love them all.

20170119_002635.jpg

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
My newest one, an Ehrlich Zulu I got on the bay for $12.50 shipped, can you believe that, got my eye on a sweet BB&S Londoner, fingers crossed
s-l1600.jpg

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
My unfinished Sav Zulu. This line of Savs are great smokers,and priced right. I also own 3 of the 320 Authors of this line.
5vEU2nR.jpg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Thought I'd post a couple of photos here, from a visit a couple of days ago. Although it won't mean anything to the Americans on the forum, unless they've ever seen the film, ZULU.

An absolutely blinding film, starring Michael Caine & Stanley baker. It's a classic film for us Brits. The other day I took my old man out, to the Royal Welsh military museum, Brecknockshire barracks, just down the road from me, in Brecon Wales. This regiment used to be known as 'The South Wales borderers', made famous by the battle of 'Rorkes drift'.

A marvellous museum, with many artefacts dating from Quuen Anne's time to the present day. Highlight for me was to see the original 'queens colours', which flew above the camp during the actual battle. Here's a photo of the colours.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
@pagan. Shaka Zulu? Shaka Khan? Good god man, NO! Zulu, the film with Michael Caine, it's from the 60s & it's probably one of the best films you've never seen!

I've got a DVD of it somewhere, I'll dig it out & send it to you.

Best regards, Simon.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Those are some nice looking pipes.
I don't own a zulu and have tended to not look at them as I think it's a bit harder to see where I'm lighting my baccy with the bowl canted away.

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
Simon, my bad I got the movie and TV series mixed up, but I know what your talking about, a great piece of history
s-l500.jpg
s-l500.jpg

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I got this old no name pipe some time ago and remembered this thread so I thought I'd add it to the list. Only stamped Imported Briar and has an aluminum end on the shank. Might be a Dr. Grabow? While not in the same league as most of the pipes here, I gave it a quick polish and it looks pretty good.

img_1564-600x315.jpg

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I really like the look of these pipes but have am having a bit of a tough time visualizing how they hang from the mouth. Anyone feel up to posting a mugshot with one of these burners in their beak?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
Orley, that's an unmarked Grabow 65, good looking one too.
Pond, from my experience, they're made to be clenched and if you dangle like me they'll likely droop some. As long as the bite is thin enough I don't even notice them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's my favorite Zulu/Yachtsman. The only markings I can read are "Unfinished" over "Natural" and "something briar". Bought it 55 years ago in NYC, possibly Wilke or Barclay Rex.
GyJGW2g.jpg

It may be my only, but it's one of my favs all time.
I thought Zulu and Yachtsman were synonymous, not one a sub category of another. Anyone know for sure?

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
Need Help
Sadly the Zulu that I bought on eBay (really nice Chacom) was smaller than it appeared. I have arthritus in my hands so holding smaller pipes is hard and hurts.
So I'm looking for a Zulu with a bowl diameter of at least 1.75inches
Thanks for your suggestions!!!
Todd

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Hi guys. Relative noob here but have been pickin up estate pipes here as of late and have picked up a couple of nice zulu's / yachtsman's...
One is off to Briarville Ric getting a new stem. Lemme see if I can post the other one... It's my new favorite golfin pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.