PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I went through a time of shopping Rattray pipes but never bought one. I'm not sure how far to trust nation-of-origin stamps these days, since work can be done partly or mostly in some other country under contract. I looked at Rattray probably eight years ago, and at the time, they didn't seem price competitive with Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson, etc. If you study up and research the market, there are probably some fine Scottish estate pipes out there, and maybe new ones, maybe some artisan pipes too.

Agreed, mso489. I'll never know for sure whether or not a pipe with a particular country's stamp signifies that it was actually made there. It's probably a frivolous pursuit, but knowing this "squishiness" of pipes' origins, I still enjoy chasing down these pipes. I also don't pay much for them, so that's part of the fun. In fact, I scored the H. Love for $12.

Still, it's important to understand the facts around the country of origin and how cloudy that can be.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
7charb, it is probably one of those ironies of life that if you are not paying much, everything you buy is likely authentic and true to its nation stamp. I'm not sure why that seems to be true, but it often is. If you were anteing up hundreds at a pop, I'd be worried. You'll probably end up with a corner on the Scottish pipe market which will then ascend to high market desirability.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
7charb, it is probably one of those ironies of life that if you are not paying much, everything you buy is likely authentic and true to its nation stamp. I'm not sure why that seems to be true, but it often is. If you were anteing up hundreds at a pop, I'd be worried. You'll probably end up with a corner on the Scottish pipe market which will then ascend to high market desirability.

Ha! So true. Nothing like scoring a good deal. Makes one feel good for sure.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
A few months ago I posted a few original Rattray's pipes I lucked upon (link below), variously stamped Perth and Perth Scotland, although they may very well be English in manufacture. I've also got a beautiful unsmoked amber-stemmed billiard by Montague Alexander Friedlander ("MF," Glasgow), from the 1890s if I recall correctly, with case. I'll attempt to post a photo once the family has settled in to sleep.

Original Rattray's Pipes :: Pipe Talk - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/original-rattrays-pipes.70731

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
A few months ago I posted a few original Rattray's pipes I lucked upon (link below), variously stamped Perth and Perth Scotland, although they may very well be English in manufacture. I've also got a beautiful unsmoked amber-stemmed billiard by Montague Alexander Friedlander ("MF," Glasgow), from the 1890s if I recall correctly, with case. I'll attempt to post a photo once the family has settled in to sleep.

Original Rattray's Pipes :: Pipe Talk - http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/threads/original-rattrays-pipes.70731

All classic shapes (go figure). I do like traditional English (or perhaps Scottish) pipes. How do they smoke?

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
The Rattray's smoke a treat. The Friedlander is unsmoked for the time being. Sounds silly but I don't like to smoke pipes with amber stems while I'm walking around. Modern polymer stems might handle being dropped but I cringe to think I might drop an amber stem.

Reactions: Humblepipe