PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Found this "H. Love" (what a name) on EBeast and restored it. It's a chunky sucker. Probably a basket pipe, but it's a solid smoker. This purchase made me wonder how many of my briar brothers also had Scottish pipes. Show 'em if you got 'em....

EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title

Last edited by a moderator:

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Nice restoration job. I like the vertical graining on the stem. I do not have a Scottish pipe...yet.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Well, gents. Again... a thread that led to an unintended consequence. I had intended to draw folks in with showing off their Scottish pipes. Except, for jojoc (LOL) it appears no one has a Scottish pipe. Instead, I got answers about the background for my pipe, answers that had alluded me.

I like being part of this group!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I went through a time of shopping Rattray pipes but never bought one. I'm not sure how far to trust nation-of-origin stamps these days, since work can be done partly or mostly in some other country under contract. I looked at Rattray probably eight years ago, and at the time, they didn't seem price competitive with Savinelli, Stanwell, Peterson, etc. If you study up and research the market, there are probably some fine Scottish estate pipes out there, and maybe new ones, maybe some artisan pipes too.

Reactions: Scott Krieger