PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
LOVE that semi-rough block, wunkus. Tbradsim1, your Baki is lovely. I see a lot of pokers, but yours has some flair to it.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My new dragon arrived today. The online pictures didn't do it justice and I didn't expect it to be this large:
img_20190528_174901710-600x450.jpg

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
BTW, Jonas, I still don’t think that the outer portion of that pipe is meerschaum or ceramic. It has flaws that have been polished over that speak to a more organic origin.

Besides, what sense would it make to put a meerschaum liner in a meerschaum pipe?

Jun 23, 2019
@folanator - that's a beautiful pipe. the blue 'n' green punctuates the bamboo perfectly.
Here's my current daily puffer, trying my best to throw some color on it -
KKti89sl.jpg

It's really tough to capture the beginning stages of the coloration against the whiteness of the meerschaum but here's my best attempt at capturing the current state -
naxHQD0m.jpg
feeCA1nm.jpg

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Gatorlope,
That’s an underbore meerschaum pipe, designed to both “cool the smoke” and to provide a mechanism by which all the goos dropped to the bottom of the outer bowl; that’s a very useful feature in an age before pipe cleaners.
It is not some unknown organic substance with flaws that have been polished over.. Meerschaum frequently has grain and odd bits that you just don’t see until you’ve smoked it. It isn’t unusual to see odd shapes and checks deep under the surface of the good stuff.
Or it might be a dolphin femur. I hear those were popular, too.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
One thing I like about this design is that it gives you the advantages of the meerschaum insert and the freedom artistically to combine it with other materials that you could not normally use, so why not? I could actually take that insert (or one from a Calabash pipe) and insert it into almost anything with an airway and a mouth piece and have a functioning pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just grabbed off Smoking Pipes. It's only my second pipe I've purchased from them. Hope it's straight.
That is really a gorgeous meer!
Here's my current daily puffer, trying my best to throw some color on it
Really like that one too.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Great find!

Aside: These are some of the activities I like to play or watch.

??⚽?⚾⛳???️‍♀️

OK, just trying out the emoji's. Takes a long time to load, and longer to find what I am looking for. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, they are. I bought four after a month's trial on one. Now one has gone missing, but I am still impressed at how well they are built for $20.00.

Now 7:26:58 AM PDT on Sunday, September 8, 2019

Reactions: brooklynpipeclub