PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Finally scored a LHS Warwick off of Ebay. I hope it wasn't at .... ahem.... anyone else's expense =) This is the only LHS pipe I have that has a deeply stained and lacquered finish. I imagine there is some nice grain under there. I'd consider stripping it, but that would seem a shame given the finish is in okay condition. Just a few dings. I'l just clean it and leave it as it is.
VgZ1BcK.jpg

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I got this LHS Stanhope a few years ago. LHS had a seconds line by that name but this pipe has the LHS logo on it. It's about seven inches long and is very light with that pencil-thin stem. It has a scoop shaped stinger and is a great smoker.
Anyone else have a Stanhope?
V0UcUxt.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Mike that’s a gorgeous pipe. Never seen that shape before. Does it have a shape number? There’s a new one for the wishlist.
I’ve had this for a while but just around to shining it up.
LHS Browning with a Bakelite stem. It’s hard to see, but it has Birdseye on both sides of the bowl.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That's a beautiful Browning. Nice to see it preserved for the ages.
My Stanhope doesn't have a shape number stamp, just Stanhope over the diamond LHS logo with Real Briar under that.
Did you see that LHS Americana on Ebay? I'm hoping you rescue that one. I'm already over budget for my October PAD.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's an Americana. I imagine these were a fairly nice brand for LHS at one time. I wish I had some more information on it.

This one is stamped "Pat Pending". I assume that's in regard to the novel stinger which is some sort of metal or ceramic bar that screws into threads on the stem. The shape number is "8" though I don't have a chart of shape numbers for LHS pipes to match with it. I'll be hunting for more Americanas in different shapes.
Q1V7FXf.jpg

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@Mike
No it wasn’t me that bought the Americana on eBay. Nice addition. Btw, if you’re looking for more, there’s an Americana zulu/dublin on Etsy’s last time I checked.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Thanks, Dave. I'll check that Etsy lead.
Yeah, I admit it was me who made the bid. I watched it nearly down to the wire and there were no other takers. So $9.25 won it. I'm happy.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
great pipe tuold. the americana, trademarked and retailing at exactly a buck, was introduced in mid-1941 as an artifact of the war raging in europe. it was supported by a heavy promotional campaign launched about the beginning of september. making a virtue of necessity, the pipe was advertised as being all-domestic in its manufacture. the bowl was made out of domestic briar which was claimed to be a century old, and came with the same vita-cured nut lining as the other lhs lines. as you can see from your own example, the bit had an inlay "in keeping with the times" composed of red, white & blue.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Dave, that's a cool family portrait.
jguss, thank you for all the Amricana information. That's just what I was hoping to hear. I noticed that odd lining after finishing reaming the chamber out. At first I thought it was meerschaum but it was too thin for that. Very interesting.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Hey guys,
I meant to respond to Brian's question about the Londonderry as well. A pipe called the New Londonderry was introduced to the trade in November of 1935, priced at half a buck, and was made from Italian briar. The bowl was cured with rum, and the vulcanite stem was provided with an "aluminum smoke chiller". It came in a variety of shapes and sizes. I suspect this is the same pipe as the one pictured in this thread; by the time the Londonderry was advertised to the public in newspapers a month later the "New" had disappeared.
Jon

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here’s my one and only Canadian LHS. Still hunting for a Sterncrest Canadian. Longshank LHS Pipes are a rare sight. I was happy to bring this one home.
Certified Purex #37

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Here’s a combo I’ve never seen before. A Sterncrest with a Cumberland stem and Rhodium band. The Cumberland stems were always used on the Park Lane and Melloroot models.
Sterncrest shape number 27.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I know the diamond with the LHS inside of it is a main way to recognize them, but how many different markings on the stem like on the Americana did they use? Makes it hard to spot em from a distance.