PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Here's another WWII era Purex Superfine showing its battle scars. Still in good smoking order though.
pvN1k1p.jpg

tburglar

Lurker
May 22, 2017
Make that 8 of us. I have been following this post ever since I got my Sterling Sterncrest. I liked that pipe so much that I went out and found this Ultra-Fine #12. It is a fair bit heavier than the Sterling, even though it is smaller. It is also a really nice sitter. It smokes incredibly well, and appears to be impossible to overheat. Hopefully, my images will work this time.
IMG_1088 by nick coulter, on Flickr
IMG_1087 by nick coulter, on Flickr
IMG_1090 by nick coulter, on Flickr
IMG_1089 by nick coulter, on Flickr

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Welcome aboard Nick. Great looking Ultrafine. This was a high grade model sporting a solid gold band and a Meer-lined bowl. My Sterncrest's never let me down. Great old burners.

tburglar

Lurker
May 22, 2017
Thanks for the info dave g. I suspected the lightened color around the inner rim might be meerschaum lining, but I didn't want to uncover it with aggressive cleaning. After cracking a beautiful John Bull Sasieni, I have learned to be far more caring with my old pipes. I consider being painfully careful with this one a penance for the crack I put in the Sasieni because they were the only two higher end pipes I have come across in completely undamaged condition.
I believe this is the same model of pipe that is sitting in the middle right position in the p100 box in the Sterncrest window display photo you posted.
Thus far, this appears to be the most undervalued pipe make available in the USA imo, and I'm perfectly happy with keeping it a secret.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
s-l1600.jpg

Big Dipper. I was surprised at just how many fills this had in it. Other than that, hardly smoke. Even has the slight under turn of the stem. I assume this is kind of like a kaywoodie that way. Or I am hoping.

tburglar

Lurker
May 22, 2017
What is the gurgle situation like on that one snagstangl? I've always wondered if going almost completely vertical actually eliminates gurgle.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I don't know yet with this one. But I have a bunch of other oom paul shapes and there is kind of a drilled trap below the stem in the briar that acts like a moisture trap. I dont usually have a problem with gurgle.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
dave g wrote:
It's strange that the Preferred had fills being a higher grade. I very rarely see any fills in the Certified or Sterncrest models.
Surprised me too. And now I found another one that had no less than fifteen fills! (Reminded me of my high school graduation picture in a way)
Rather than sand the entire stummel down, pick out all the fills and restain like a true craftsman would do, I just used a black Sharpie to darken the fills then put on a light coat of dark brown stain. If somebody wants to someday do a full restore he shouldn't have any problems.
Notice how the nomenclature is on the right side? It's only the second time I've seen that on an LHS pipe. (Not that I've seen that many)
Wq9jMzo.jpg

Wi8iIL0.jpg

Here's a before shot from the seller:
D3RlFUE.jpg

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I picked up my first LHS pipe yesterday. It was well used by the previous owner(s) and needed quite a bit of cleaning. It is a very well made 54 shape that is still solid and usable despite the lack of maintenance. There is one small, superficial pit on the bottom of the pipe. After having it in my hands, I am now an LHS fan. This particular pipe has both patent dates as seen in the photo. Does anyone know the range of dates they used both patents? The stem logo is a bit worn but still there. The stinger is intact. I smoked one bowl with it and one bowl without. It is a very nice pipe and I am happy to have it. Now, I know where there is a reasonably priced Melloroot - agh hooked by another brand.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
@Mike

I must have missed your reply. Nice work on the resto. That's the first I've seen of that shape too.
@Retro

Great score. Love that shape. If memory serves correct, the Silver Circle carries a 1924 patent date. LHS had removable stingers on most pipes. I take them out. I like a wide draw. My Sterncrest's are some of my favorite smokers. Push stem/stinger free.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
melloroot-478x600.jpg

I hope to pick up a Melloroot later this week. There is not a lot of information about that model on the net. The common thread seems to be that they have brown swirled vulcanite stems. I hope to post some pics if I am able to get the pipe. Thanks for having this thread going. It is a bit of an inspiration.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
I was out running errands today and stopped to purchase the LHS Melloroot I was gassing about in the previous post. The only markings on the pipe are those shown in the photos. There is no reference to the briar type stamped on the pipe though the advertisement in the previous post states that they are made from, "Italian Root Briar." The pipe looks far better in person than it does in my poor photos. It is a very well made pipe and I am happy to have it. Incidentally the ad in the previous post was identified as being from 1933.
img_0462-600x450.jpg

img_0460-600x450.jpg

img_0461-600x450.jpg

jasonmazzy

Might Stick Around
Jul 31, 2017
I will be back with a tree rusticated 14k LHS. I think I have a couple smooth sterlings laying around also.

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice score Retro. Great detective work finding that Melloroot ad. That's the first I've seen of any adverts for this model. The oom paul Melloroot is posted on page one.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Here's an interesting shape a buddy in my pipe club found. It's marked Londonderry above the logo but I've not seen any others like it (shape or name).

Anyone know something?
ylEvcH9.jpg

teRUPhh.jpg

Pics aren't mine so I apologize.