PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
This is my first Kaywoodie and second pipe I've attempted to restored, its a 4 stinger handmade, have no idea the year.
IMG_2678_zpsfffj5qv5.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That's good work on the Handmade uperik!
The four-hole stinger changed over the years, here's a dating guide, based on the stamping on the shaft:
post 1929: syncro-stem pat applied for

post 1932: syncro-stem pat #

early stingers had large ball with 4 holes on end with "drinkless on shaft of stinger with patent number or

registration number below it.

just before WW2, The “Ball” was downsized slightly and only the word “DRINKLESS” appeared on the Shaft

(without the “Reg. Numbers

post 1941 the Nomenclature on the “Stinger” was eliminated altogether and then the size of the “Ball” was

reduced in size twice (with the 4-HOLE Ball being replaced by a 3-Hole Ball in the early 1950s.

Dennis Moore wrote it in "Kaywoodie Pipes, A Collector’s Perspective." It's not very precise on dates but its

better than nothing.

“The Drinkless fitting or stinger will also be stamped “Drinkless” with a registration number, although in the early

50’s this extra nomenclature began to be dropped. First the registration number was eliminated and just the

word “Drinkless” appeared, but by 54-55 all nomenclature was eliminated from the stinger."

Mid 1950s – A small raised ring was added to the fitment about 1/16 of an inch out from the shoulder so that an

O-ring could be added if the pipe leaked at the shank-stem joint. This ring was fairly thin and came to a

point/ridge on the outside diameter. About 1960, the ring was made a little wider and was more rounded at the

outside diameter.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Presenting my newest addition to my pipe rack, my Kaywoodie Saxon:
20181222_110018-600x501.jpg

And here it is being lovingly smoked with some Edward G. Robinson's Blend:
20181222_110047-357x600.jpg

Loving it so far, but I'm still not a huge fan of the pre-carbonized bowls. My Dr. Grabow Color Duke has the same stuff inside and it's peeling off. Have to wait and see if this one does the same thing or not.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
From top left.

Prime Grain billiard 07
Standard prince 96
Super Grain billiard 11
KBB Drinkless Panel 8911 (early 30’s , 1 year only shape) replacement stem
Drinkless Rusticated panel
Super Grain stubby billiard (4 digit) early 30’s
Drinkless 7730 bent apple

Top right..
Hand Made Rhodesian
Hand Made bent pot
Hand Made Bulldog Super Grain
Rusticated Meer billiard w/ Amberoid(?) stem.
Match Grain 14 bent billiard2706

Reactions: jttnk

smittyd

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have been looking for the perfect Kaywoodie 95. I just have been able to scratch that itch yet. Some day I hope.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great Glory, this thread is almost as old as I am on Forums! I remember smokeybear who is apparently otherwise occupied raising those kids who are now in high school. Dropping back into this thread just to say, since last I was here, I have purchased two different Kaywoodie, years apart. A push-bit Saxon panel billiard, or pot almost, blast, a small really nice pipe, a good smoker, and very recently a Saxon blast billiard. This latest pipe is a real gem, only 1 ounce but with a small Group 4 (medium bowl), thin walled but cool smoking somehow. I'm a little amazed at what a nifty pipe it is. If it turns out to be durable too, I'll be in awe. Kaywoodie was the premium pipe in the 1950's, with Dunhill in second place. Imagine that.