PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mgolfd

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
One day the pic posting thing will be second nature...Sorry for the Dups, but I think I got it now.

img_20130402_192546-600x450.jpg

img953652-600x450.jpg

Reactions: samuelgawith01

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@mgolfd, that smooth straight Dublin(ish) is a lovely pipe. Can't read the grading, but the gold JU motif suggests it is a B, a G or higher? It looks almost unsmoked - great pipe !!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Flakey she smokes a little on the hot side, but going slow sipping, it's a good smoke. Draw is extra good so the tendency is to go faster than you should. I have not seen too many Rusticated Upshalls and that's why I got this one, glad that I did.

mgolfd

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2012
Brooklyn, N.Y.
flaky to be honest I have no idea what grade it is (but I am going to check it out tonight). When I took the pic I had just received it back after sending it out to be cleaned up and sterilized. It was a great score on ebay.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@mgolfd, the grading letter is by the side of the 'James Upshall' lettering on the side of the shank - I can see it but can't quite make it out - probably G, B or E. Any of these would be an eBay steal! It doesn't look like it needs any restoration, just a bit of internal sanitisation with pipe cleaners and alcohol.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I've added two James Upshalls since starting this thread:
A B Grade Silver Spigot. I had Floyd Norwood insert a Cumberland stem in the spigot and saved the original black stem. Despite the deep bend, this one passes a cleaner nicely.

Just a few months ago, I found this unsmoked Bark Bent Billiard. It is significantly smaller than most of my other Upshalls and as such, has become a real favorite. The rusticated finish feels great. This replaced a 4K Castello Sea Rock that was just too large, with no regrets.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thanks ssjones, it certainly seems a good eBay find.
I meant to mention that on eBay I recently won a Tilstead bent billiard PLUS another bowl, sans stem, for circa $70 in total. Neither has been smoked and both have the typical JU straight grain. I can't see any faults in either.
I have asked reborn to find me a stem that fits the latter and both will be gifted to friends who are new to the hobby.

randyb

Lurker
Sep 3, 2014
And of course... my first post and I put it in the wrong forum!! So, here are my Upshall pics again. I purchased these new in 1979, so they are very likely from Barry Jones first year's production at Tilshead.
HVtDFN5.jpg

cv5tkrC.jpg

d8WOWA4.jpg

Wow, these are a bit large for the forum... I'll need to revisit the sizing!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Those are great Randy. I can't say that I have ever seen an Upshall with the JU stem stamp on the side. That must be a characteristic of the early pipes. Do you recall where they were purchased?

randyb

Lurker
Sep 3, 2014
I bought them new in 1979. It's my understanding that Barry jones left Charatan in 1978 to join Major Barnes in forming Tilshead, so these must be very close to the beginning. Sadly, there are no hallmarks on the sterling band which would make the dating a cinch. That probably means that they were originally intended for the US market, as the only US requirement is to mark them "Sterling" or Sterling Silver". The rules in many areas of Europe still require the hallmarks.
*edit* - ahh, I missed the "where"... purchased at a Tinder Box in Indiana.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Upshall Dublin shapes are very attractive. That P has some excellent grain! Your stem logos on the side still fascinate me! Until now, I've never seen them in that location.

randyb

Lurker
Sep 3, 2014
Yes, I've always been partial to Dublins, and I really like my two Upshalls. With the Upshall knowledge that Pete shared a few days ago, the logo on the left of the stem and the "dot" between the J and the U were a very early logo.. but not sure exactly when it stopped being used.