PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ok, lets see some love for pipes made by Barry Jones under the James Upshall brand. I'm a big fan, they smoke as well as my older Comoys, Castello's, etc. and often fly under the radar on Ebay. The draw, for my taste is perfect. Here is my collection:
Newest addition, a P-Grade Bent Apple

P Grade Bent Billiard

P Grade Author

P Grade Bent Dublin, stamped E-XL, but at 52 grams my lightest P-Grade Upshall.

Early 80's Bulldog, no grade stamp.

My first Upshall, a S-Grade Rhodesian. S-grades are below P (in the nonsensical Upshall grading chart) and they are much less prevelant compared to P-grades. A light, magnificent smoker

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Great collection, Al. I only have two, but I agree, they are great pipes. My Upshall Dublin is pictured below. I also have a Tilshead (Upshall second) Lovat that is a truly well made pipe (no pictures yet).
upshall-billiard-1-600x541.jpg

upshall-billiard-profile-600x558.jpg

Reactions: samuelgawith01

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Thanks, Al.
Harris, thanks for the well wishes.
Fisher, I don't know what your budget is, but the jamesupshallpipeco sells new Upshalls and Tilsheads almost every week for betwewen $90-150. Many of them are BIN, but the auctions usually get just one or two bids. For my bucks, the Tilshead seconds are the best deal in English pipes anywhere. They usually have a tiny sand pit or two, but that's all.
Here's one of several they have this week.
$(KGrHqV,!n0FG)BBmV8QBRzrUPdEuQ~~60_12.JPG

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-JAMES-UPSHALL-TILSHEAD-BILLIARD-NEW-NO-RESERVE-/400519834572?
Also, I've been eyeing this little Upshall pot for a while. About 85 bucks from neatpipes.
12-r202a.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I actually don't quite know what to make of the NOS Upshalls and estate pipes sold thru the Ebay vendor (Moty Ezrati). When I picked up the silver banded Upshall at JB Hayes, the clerk (King), who is a pretty respected pipe collector said he wouldn't buy anything from him and heard the pipes were restemmed, etc. I had a good experience with an Astley's from them. But, for some reason, serious collectors seem to avoid patronizing them. (ie there are two Ashton Magnums listed there now, which usually get snapped up quickly but these languish)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I actually don't quite know what to make of the NOS Upshalls and estate pipes sold thru the Ebay vendor (Moty Ezrati). When I picked up the silver banded Upshall at JB Hayes, the clerk (King), who is a pretty respected pipe collector said he wouldn't buy anything from him and heard the pipes were restemmed, etc.
That's the first I've heard that Ezrati's pipes might be suspect in some way. And strange coming from a collector working for a reputable shop. I'm curious, though, what was meant by "restemmed, etc." My Tilshead from them was fine and the stem-shank fit is near perfect.
The only complaint I've heard is about the prices -- they're too low and undercut anyone who sells Upshalls at retail.
In any case, I'm really glad you spoke up on this - it's always good to have all the available information about various makers and sellers.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Re-stemmed was not a good choice of words. What I heard was than when he bought the business, there were unstemmed strummels in the shop that stems were made for recently. I don't know that is a bad thing.

I don't believe they are making and shipping new Upshall pipes to any vendors. The few folks that have one, have had them for a long time. Their homepage lists no vendors:

http://www.upshallusa.com/
That page says that pipes are created by a team headed by Barry Jones. But, that page has't been updated in a long time. I don't know if Mr. Jones is still making pipes. If they are, they sure are listed anywhere on the web. New pipes sold as NOS on their Ebay page are usually listed with a vintage date (always?). It sure would be interesting to interview Barry Jones - PipesMagazine how about an interview? Although other than on pipe reference pages, I can't find any current information on Barry.
It's a bit sad to let this brand languish.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
What I heard was than when he bought the business, there were unstemmed strummels in the shop that stems were made for recently. I don't know that is a bad thing.
That makes sense. And no, I don't think that's a bad thing, either.
I don't believe they are making and shipping new Upshall pipes to any vendors. The few folks that have one, have had them for a long time. Their homepage lists no vendors:
You might be right. Only a couple of online vendors have JU pipes available (McGahey, Bond's, James Island Piper), and they don't have very many. I haven't heard that JU had stopped making pipes or that Barry Jones had. Wouldn't we have heard something about this? Maybe not. Who would know?
It sure would be interesting to interview Barry Jones - PipesMagazine how about an interview? Although other than on pipe reference pages, I can't find any current information on Barry.
I second that.

Reactions: hauntedmyst

dukdalf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2011
Mr. 'Motty' Ezrati has been the owner of the James Upshall brand for at least two decades. Last I heard, Barry Jones is still turning bowls out on the plains with Ezrati taking care of the business end. He has very strong and rather unusual views on how to do that, which might explain some of the quirks mentioned above. Anyway, here are teh Upshalls I still own:
G-grade dublin:

S/EX:

P-grade:

P-grade cherrywood:

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@churchwarden, they are lovely pipes and I bet they will smoke like a dream. The grain on that Lovat is outstanding for a P-grade and the cherry wood is a favourite JU shape for me.
Of my 'recent era' pipes Upshall's are the best smokers, and I agree with ssjones - they tie with my old Comoys and Barlings. Because they are made from very old Greek briar they are as light as a feather and an effortless clench. I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with them.
I have a P-grade long Canadian, a P-grade pot, a G-grade pot (which is reserved for SG FVF), a G-grade cherry wood (reserved for BBF) and a huge E-grade XL bent billiard. You would need to break my arm to get them off me !!! lol

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@tbradsim1, does she smoke well? My long Canadian is similar, but smooth and with a smaller bowl (not similar at all, really!!)