PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
I bought this Ferndown Bark recently. It's a wonderful pipe. But it has no stars stamped. By size, it should probably be a 3 star. Were earlier pipes perhaps not star stamped?
Ferndown%20Bark_zps4q94i5ug.jpg

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Spent a lot of time chatting with Les today and thought I would bump this thread. This is the latest he made for me and hopefully will arrive from England this month.

We are planning several pipes over the next year or so and I am really looking forward to them. Anyone else have any more of his pipes?

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Love Ferndown pipes! I have only one currently, it was my first English pipe. It is a wee 1* and a pleasure to clench.
Ferndown 1*.

img_20151229_163149899-600x337.jpg

As a size comparison, Ferndown 1* next to my Layton XXL Bent Billiard.

001-600x337.jpg

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
@tarheel1 that vent bulldog looks so similar to mine. Perhaps someday you and I can smoke them seated side-by-side

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I would like that. Yours is a 2* and mi e is a 3* but would be great to enjoy a bowl and chat.

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
monk as I understand it the * number is bowl size. If there is more to it I look forward to learning about it here.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Star (*) does denote size (3* the largest I believe).
Bark - dark rusticated finish (some web sellers insist on describing this one as sandblasted)
Reo - dark smooth
Root - smooth, orange stain
Tudor Root- highest grade, natural finish

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
The Tudor root is a darker stain than the root. Les says it is a wider grain and darker finish brings it out better than the root. The root is a tighter grain and lighter stain. There is also the antique bark pile. A light stained bark. No e of the pipes have fills and are all of the same quality just grain and stain differ.
And if you did not know Dolly is in charge of what stain each pipe gets as well as how many coats of stain. I am working with them on a one off stain for a pile I want made. Les said he would ask her nicely and see if she will allow it. Lol. They are great people and I really hope to meet them in person some day.
Les Wood

"yes the Tudor is stained to be darker just Dolly being different lol it is all to do with the grain of the pipe a wider grain looks better in the Tudor were a tighter grain is bettr in the lighter Root stain"

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Well Les was the silversmith for Dunhill for a long time so that is a good way to go. I am planning two silvercaps from him. One REO bent bulldog tapered stem and one bark bent bulldog tapered stem.

Like this but tapered.

004-002-2496.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.