PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
@ssjones. There is only one Special Forces tab. There are 4 tabs authorized for wear and awarded. Airborne tab is worn only @ith airborn units. Ranger tab is earned in ranger school. Sapper tab awardered aftr sapper course and Special Forces tab is awarded to graduates of the q course then assigned to a team. Those of us with sf and ranger are called triple canopy.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
When my son got his Airborne wings, wife and I went To Fort Benning for the Graduation. While getting ready for the assembly I started talking French to a Foreign Legion officer, we were just talking away I was wavering my hands like Cajuns do and extreme quiet Came upon us. We looked around and they were holding up the ceromony for us. Later on My son told me he jumped with him in the training and that he was the Commander of The French Foreign Legion and wanted the American wings. Months later while watching a documentry on The French Foreign Leigon there was my little Commanding officer with the big nose talking about the History of the Leigon. Small world.

gadgetech

Lurker
Nov 22, 2014
3*
15658248756_9bf8e49b32_z.jpg

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I'm surprised that the Frenchman recognized his own language. I hear that Quebcois and Cajun are bastardizations.

I heard a story about a Perique farmer/seller this week who smoked it in cigarettes.

All Y'all Cajuns are some good ole boys, with y'er crab boils, gator tail, crayfish and Old Bay Seasoning.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Cajuns don't use Old Bay seasoning. That is a Maryland area product, originally made by Wye River products, then bought out by McCormick (also a MD company). Everyone in the NOLA area seems to use Zatarans. My in laws had never heard of Old Bay. Guess what everyone got for Christmas? Now, back to the Ferndowns...

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Cajuns speak a pure French from the Soldiers who came to New Orleans during the Nepolean Era. Our French has not been Bastarized as the real French has, especially Parisian French. The Commander and I understood each other very well. Little known fact in WWII, they sent in Canadians to fight with the French Resistance and were quickly found out as their speech was not at all what the locals spoke. Then they tried the Cajuns , worked extremely well and as the Code talkers were finally given their due the Cajuns never were. I am good friends with a Mr Leblanc who was parachuted behind lines for just that, he is in his 90s now and extremely alert. Old Bay is Crap, tried it and I had to drink a 6 pack to get the taste out my mouth. Lately they've been buying our crabs and selling them for Chesapeake crabs, shame,shame,shame. You've never had good boiled Crabs till a Cajun does you a boil. Make you lick yoa lips Cher!PS Worked at Exxon with Jake Martin from St James Parish, his father was a perque farmer, the boys, lots of them made little cigars and smoked them behind the Barn.

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
Macarel de sort !
....back to the Ferndowns so, the pipe in my picture is my first Ferndown (Christmas gift),and a wonderful smoke, the oil treatment really does enhance the smoking experience for my taste buds at least. In fact I like it so much I am going to buy another, the pennies are already being put away.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I think Ferndowns are a great value, especially when obtained from Maxim @pipes2smoke. My only reservation is the size and weight; they tend to be large pipes, and as I am a clencher, that is of prime importance to me. Over the holidays, Christmas mad-money in hand, I bought a 3* REO Canadian with silver and two-tone spiral bowl, mostly smooth but with 3 of the spirals rusticated. $245.00, for all of that, and I would say that the REO finish is one of my very favorites.

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
Today my new 3* Reo Cherrywood Spigot came in courtesy of Maxim at Pipes2smoke.com Let me just say this pipe is big. I have been told that 3*s are serious pipes. I am glad that I was ready for the size because when it came out of that box I would have been caught off guard. She is a beauty and will be dedicated to piping on Saturday nights. In a couple months when I get home I will be sure to photograph this pipe with something better than an iPhone. My apologies.

IMG_3461_zps97cc29ea.jpg

IMG_3459_zps98a7da2b.jpg

IMG_3462_zps7a0f769e.jpg

IMG_3463_zps04908edd.jpg

IMG_3460_zps8aac5db6.jpg

IMG_3465_zps180102f2.jpg

IMG_3466_zps564097d6.jpg

love it.... :P

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
Nice. If you have not smoked anything in it yet maybe hold out for a tin of Penzance from 1999.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@pipebaum81: that looks great, I love the dimensions. Good choice on the desert camo background, those pix look pretty good to me!

pipebaum81

Nov 23, 2014
ssjones, its funny you mention the camo because in my current circumstance and living quarters my uniform is the best backdrop I can come up with. It’s really all I got. The other options are my bed who's disastrous mattress looks as wavy as the ocean or a make shift plywood table that looks like it baked in the Arabian sun for months on end before being repurposed. It's the second time I've used the camo (see above) and it has really grown on me. Upon returning home I may continue this tradition. All said, I truly love this pipe.
j/B

oldreddog

Sep 4, 2014
It certainly is a beauty ssjones,thank you! I believe it is indeed Tudor Root.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
As above, I love Ferndowns. The classic shapes, dark tones (well, not Tudor Root) are always favored. But for me as I mostly clench, the weight can be a problem. There are far too many beautiful pipes in the thread, but the two that did it for me are the REO poker and facet Tudor Root bulldog. I browse about a half-dozen pipe sites regularly, but my pipe mania has been appeased by looking at all these gorgeous pieces.
Time to go browse pipes2smoke to see if anything there persuades me to spend more money than I should. Seriously, I should stay off those sites and cigarbid unless I have money to spend, but I will take a look at Maxim's offerings nonetheless;).

Status
Not open for further replies.