SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 7, 2016
Orley, that is a nice Sea Rock. You must be right since you are looking at the crack and all trim rings from the factory are marked in some way, but at a distance that sure does look like one that could have come from Cantu. Is there a shape #? Looks like a 16 but it could be a 15.
And thanks to whichever mod bailed me out on the pictures of my latest. And last for a while.

Oct 7, 2016
Orley, yes, roughly a 1970's piece. I love the shape when it does not have a plastic faux military stick bit, which usually have an F stamped near the shape number. (F = Fancy ) Yours might (or might not) have a P stamped by the shape number (P = plain)
I really like yours. The trim ring is exactly the right width. More importantly, the finish looks good, many of that vintage have been buffed enough to where the original stain loses luster. Truly a very nice pick up.

Oct 7, 2016
http://pipesmagazine.com/members/oldgeezersmoker/album/picture/22763[/img
[img]http://pipesmagazine.com/members/oldgeezersmoker/album/picture/22762
A single k Sea Rock from Floppypipe.it. I have never seen this type of carving before. The Castello Castle with 70 inside is stamped on the shank, and I cannot remember seeing that on a Sea Rock,either, but oldgeezers memory bank isn't what it used to be and I may have seen it. The pipe weighs 17 grams, and is larger than a Castelline. The shop description claims that it is unique.
BTW, I do appreciate Jesse and Al's efforts to explain the use of the forum Album. I got the pictures uploaded, but that was as far as I got. The menu that the screen shot says I should have seen is non existent on my tablet regardless of what I do, so I just copied the link location. We shall see what happens.
castello-sea-rock-briar-k-small-billiard-.jpg

castello-sea-rock-briar-k-billiard-piccolissima-1.jpg

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Done! You are missing one step (you can't post the web address into the IMG function, but rather the URL from the right-click on the photo info).
That is quite a cool Castello, I wonder why they didn't Pi stamp that one? I've seen ones less worthy with the Pi stamp.

Oct 7, 2016
Al, right clicking on the photo is a mouse specific concept that does not always translate to my Android tablet. I see what you are talking about, but I can't get there on my tablet. I know tablets aren't real computers, but they are very liberating for this of us with disabilities.
All I can say about the π stamp being absent is that I am glad. Would have cost me more. And I am thrilled Coppo didn't call it a Castelline, which would have cost even more.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I have never seen this type of carving before. The Castello Castle with 70 inside is stamped on the shank, and I cannot remember seeing that on a Sea Rock,either, but oldgeezers memory bank isn't what it used to be and I may have seen it.

Castello has put out a few new SR variations in the past few years. I see there is a 93 dated 2016 on eBay sort of like yours.
I love the shape when it does not have a plastic faux military stick bit, which usually have an F stamped near the shape number. (F = Fancy ) Yours might (or might not) have a P stamped by the shape number (P = plain)
I really like yours. The trim ring is exactly the right width.
That ring really does look like a Castello, look closely for a little castle engraved in it. It might be very faint.

From studying my collection I'm confident in saying that you are correct that the suffix F in the stick bit but I believe the P designates a saddle bit and the taper bits have no suffix.
That is quite a cool Castello, I wonder why they didn't Pi stamp that one?

Yes it is! A really nice well proportioned little piece. Inconstant nomenclature nomenclature is common with Castello. 8O

Oct 7, 2016
Dave, I am not seeing a 93 as you describe. I do see a 93 that pipestud says has a 16 on it, which makes absolutely no sense as the k's are not circled. Pipestud does not show the nomenclature panel.

Do you see one that has 69 in the castle?